Enco 1525 vertical mill 8x36"

Dutch

Active User
Registered
ID plate says "Made in China NT". Pretty sure NT means Nation of Taiwan. Bought this used about 2009. Running an American Rotary phase converter and it runs beautifully. At top speed it does pull down the 3 phase motor upon start-up but regains the speed in seconds. Running at the lower milling speeds there's no drag. Phase converter is 3hp rated and mill motor is 1.5hp.

First problem was the spindle brake. It was apparently wore out. What to do? I pulled the top end apart to see what was what. The two pieces of the spindle brake seem to be a fiberous material that smelled a lot like World War 2 electrical equipment. Just smelled that way.

So the problem was quickly apparent and the solution quickly floated into my curious head.

The spindle brake is very much like an automotive brake with a fixed pin and an opposite cam-like part that spread the shoes apart into the drum. Very simple. But how to fix without spending $$$.

2v4DpomPxH3Es.jpg

And here was the problem. Excessive wear. (improper use of the spindle brake)....

2v44cyNqxH3Es.jpg

So the shoes needed to be spread wider in order to properly engage the drum. The solution was obvious to me. Wasn't it obvious to you?

2v44cN65xH3Es.jpg

The cam needed some help... some wider throw, as it were.....

2v44cNjrxH3Es.jpg

And the fixed pivot needed some "space"....

2v44crshxH3Es.jpg

It actually works much better as the brass offers more lubricity on the brake shoe material.

2v44cjiGxH3Es.jpg

The mill was a bit too short for me so I made these. The nice thing about this setup is the table can be leveled, as perfectly leveled as humanly possible considering I didn't have a precision level.

2vmDEnAkxH3Es.jpg

The main complaint about this model mill was the spindle-to-table distance was insufficient so I watched Grizzly for a sale on their 8x36" column riser and dag nabbit it showed up for $230. It was a drop-in solution.

2vFBmneoxH3Es.jpg

Tramming the mill table.

2v4NtFwnxH3Es.jpg

2v4NtFjgxH3Es.jpg

Running on 20 amp 220v circuit. Everything is 10 gauge wiring.

2v4rcDAhxH3Es.jpg

Nice fix. Looks like your machine lived an easy life other than the brake.. The brake on my BP hasn't worked since I bought it. I just use a small Makita impact for a quick zip on/off. If I ever need to get into the head I will probably fix it, and will keep your repair in mind. Mike

That's a nice mill. I have a 1527-27 that I bought in 1990 and looking at the data tag, mine says made in
China and has the NT on it as well. I did the same sort of repair on my spindle brake about a year ago.

I think NT meant New Territories, and it's basically Hong Kong and surroundings. It originally referred to the extension of the original lease of Hong Kong island to inclide Kowloon and other areas on the mainland and surrounding islands. Most of what we knew as Hong Kong (by area) was in the New Territories.
Dunno if that's better or worse than Taiwanese, but prior to '97 (I think) at least it wasn't communist China, it was the British colony.

Pretty sure this mill was mfg in 1993. The DRO is dated 1993.

Back