ENCO 9X20 110-0818 tail stock

trainman2

Registered
Registered
Quill bearings went on my mill/drill replaced them and cleaned and painted the machine moved to 12X36 lathe cleaned and painted it also. I am now working on the 9X20 and have a problem with the tail stock. After seeing a video on the internet on how to align it I checked mine. The video suggested chucking a piece of scrap and turning it to the diameter of the tail stock then use an indicator to compare the two. I found my tailstock to be 0.015" lower than the headstock.! I remove the tailstock turned it over to look at the bottom the find the vee grove to run on the ways did not appear to be machined...
What to do? I bought some .015 shim stock before looking at the bottom should I just shim it and call it a day, any suggestions?

PS
I also saw a few missing teeth on the plastic 80 tooth change gear, I will try MSC for a replacement.

Assuming that the tailstock ram is also parallel to the ways, shimming at at a point that does not in normal usage ever need to be loosened would normally be the preferred fix.

This tool for tailstock alignment is well worth the money from Edge Products. These lathe buttons are also pretty easy to use from PTG. The only issue with PTG is it will take a while to receive almost anything you order from them, Brownells may have them in stock.

Attachments

• DSCN4405.JPG
    DSCN4405.JPG
    341 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN4406.JPG
    DSCN4406.JPG
    394.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back