Enco Turret Milling Machine, what's it worth?

Thanks, I remember now that the quill was down and it didn’t want to raise, likely because the oil has hardened. This machine has apparently sat idle for almost 10 years. I think I can get it to raise. I’ll take a DTI with me when I go back.

My other concern is that the machine is connected to a static phase converter and I don’t know what condition that is in. I’m hopeful I can get that working so I can run the spindle. Static phase converters use capacitors which often fail over time.

Its my guess that the nut is adjustable and that will improve the backlash. I did look at the screw and it did not look worn to the point where it would cause that much backlash. And the backlash was about the same on the ends as it was in the middle so that tells me its likely the nut.

The machine is in the estate of a friend of a friend. l’ve offered to help get it running even if I don’t buy it. My initial inspection was done with a flashlight so I'll be going back a little better prepared.

Possible the quill lock is reluctant to release. Shouldn't take a huge amount to free up. A block of wood between spindle and table and raise the knee is the best way - saves stressing the quill feed mech.
It's sounding like a decent buy to me.

I worked in a machine shop in the late 80s that had an Enco turret mill similar to Bridgrport. I don't know how old it was but the table ways were badly worn. It was tight at both ends and loose in the middle. Check the ways on any mill you intend to purchase

I have a 1980 Enco 9x42 mill. It was built by She Hong Industries in Taiwan. It is an "exact" copy of a Bridgeport J head machine. The only difference that I have been able to find is that some of the fasteners in the machine are metric. The machine was in a garage that was owned by a machinist. When he retired some 20 years ago, he took up pottery making as a hobby and never used the mill again. Pottery making is a dusty hobby and the entire machine had about a quarter inch of dirt on it. That dirt got in everywhere. I ended up changing every bearing in the machine! Only a few were open bearings that needed to be changed but as long as I was there...... A really fun project that covered about 6 months. (I had another mill so I was in no hurry - it was a spare time project). I love the mill. I got rid of the static phase converter and put in a VFD. I use the existing switches. The only thing I have to do is when the switch is in "high" is to start the machine from the vdf. When in low range, I just leave the vfd on and use the switch that is on the machine. There were a few items that I had to replace. H&W website is the place to get the parts - Bridgeport parts.

Well it looks like the mill was sold while I was off dealing with my elderly mother. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the post. I've learned a few things that I can apply in my future search. As a consolation prize however, I did pick up a vintage cast iron pedestal grinder/drill bit sharpener. It needs some work, but I enjoy restoring such things.

Back