End Mill ?

Coomba

Active User
Registered
I'm looking to purchase some new end mills. The ones I bought when I first got my mill are now junk. Think I spent $89.00 and got 20 end mills. I have a PM4450M which is very similar to the PM932M. The fastest RPM on my mill is 1500 RPM's. MSC is having a sale on end mill, and I can buy carbide or M42 cobalt, for very close the same money. My mill is pretty rigid, but the lack of higher speed, makes me think I would not be making the best of the carbide, and should buy the cobalt. Your suggestion are appreciated. Thanks.

Cobalt will be fine. Buy one nice name brand endmill so you get to see how a nice tool works. The cheap sets of endmills are good for a lot of things but aren't anywhere close to a high quality tool. If you are having tool wear, carbide will last longer even if you don't run it fast. I bet 90% of the hobby carbide users never hit the recommended speeds for their tools.

Cobalt will be fine. Buy one nice name brand endmill so you get to see how a nice tool works. The cheap sets of endmills are good for a lot of things but aren't anywhere close to a high quality tool. If you are having tool wear, carbide will last longer even if you don't run it fast. I bet 90% of the hobby carbide users never hit the recommended speeds for their tools.
The endmills I'm looking at are made by Hertel, is that a good brand? I believe they are made in the States.

I've been running inserted carbide tooling cutting 4140 heat treated, three inserts in a .75 dia. cutter. I find it cuts best at 525 rpm, three inch per minute feet, .040 depth of cut, full width. This works out about 100 surface feet per minute. I wouldn't know what to do with 1500, though my PM25 will do 2400.
After removing about 1.25 cu in of steel, the edge is no longer factory sharp, although it keeps cutting, throwing blue chips.

Cobalt roughers are nice, save the super nice ones for finish cutting

The endmills I'm looking at are made by Hertel, is that a good brand? I believe they are made in the States.

Hertel is a MSC house brand. Good stuff, made in the USA.

Been using Hertel tools for several years. They're very affordable and top quality.

Shars also has a house brand endmill, made in the States, but they will not tell me the manufacture.

Back