ERICKSON TENTHSET Boring Head tear down?

rodm1

Registered
Registered
Are these strait forward in disassembly and reassemble to clean? I need to clean my boring head but would rather not if it may become a problem.

I did it years ago, but I don't remember the details. It was not a difficult job.

This will help

I pulled apart one of the #50 versions a few years ago. Disassembly was easy, to the best of my recollection.

The mechanism inside is pretty simple: basically just relies on some fine threads and a big ramp.

BE AWARE: on re-assembly it's really, really easy to cross-thread / misalign the internal threaded 'bar' thing. So make double-sure you've got it right before washing your hands, then double check it again once everything is together to make sure things operate smoothly. If it's not smooth, it's probably cross-threaded.

EDIT: Unlike a bolt that gets stuck one or two threads in when it's cross-threaded, the little cross bar thing will not jam up if you're off by a thread, so it won't be immediately obvious if it's in there wrong. You'll know it's wrong based on how the collar feels when operating it.

Back