evaluating an Enco 110-2072 Lathe

skipmeister

Registered
Registered
Howdy folks,

There is an Enco 110-2072 lathe for sale in my area. I called Enco and they said it went out of production in 1989 and they have no service manuals or parts available.

Does anyone know if one of the other Chinese brands are still mfging / supporting this lathe under another model number?

Just doing my homework before I jump into another project.

Thanks!

I found this one on Ebay for those who need a picture. I would think if you got the machine for $500.00 to $1000.00, and it was running in every gear speed and feed, the bed looks OK to good, there is a lot of tooling, it would be worth the chance. I would guess if something breaks you will have to make one or get lucky and for something on E-Bay. It might have a clone in new Chinese or Taiwan machines, but unless someone here recognizes it you will have lots of homework.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enco-110-2072-Engine-Lathe-/200909702091?pt=BI_Lathes&hash=item2ec726c3cb

I found this one on Ebay for those who need a picture. I would think if you got the machine for $500.00 to $1000.00, and it was running in every gear speed and feed, the bed looks OK to good, there is a lot of tooling, it would be worth the chance. I would guess if something breaks you will have to make one or get lucky and for something on E-Bay. It might have a clone in new Chinese or Taiwan machines, but unless someone here recognizes it you will have lots of homework.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enco-110-2072-Engine-Lathe-/200909702091?pt=BI_Lathes&hash=item2ec726c3cb

Morning Richard,

What you described above is pretty much what I had determined. I'm always looking for a good deal on anything I purchase but I don't really want a project rebuilding a lathe that I want to use for other projects at this time. That is one of the reasons I joined this forum is educate myself about how to evaluate metal working equipment as well as how to use it. If one of other Chinese mfg supported a clone of this lathe I would seriously consider it. I need a good working lathe before I can build replacement parts for another machine.:))

Thanks for the feedback!

Good Morning Skip,

There are a couple of quick ways to determine if the machine has seen a lot of wear. take a flashlight and crank the saddle to the right. Look at the rack under the way and see if the rack teeth all look the same. The left and right end of the rack will be like new, but about a foot to the right of the head stock (HS), that where the wear generally is. Look at the bed-ways near the HS and see if there are any dents in the ways, look at the top of the front male V way and see if there is a ridge that our fingernail will catch on, this is wear. crank the saddle in and look for scratches and dirt, if the way surfaces are dirty and scratched, the former owner did not clean and oil it properly. Crank out the Tail Stock (TS) quill and look at it for scratches wrap you hand around it and see if it will turn or there is a lot of play, if it does the key is worn. Look inside the TS taper and see it is all dinged up or smooth. If you really want to take some time and if the owner will let you take the HS top cover off and look at the gears, see if he has tightened the spindle bearings, look at the drive V belts and see if they are worn.

See if he has an air hose hanging on the machine, see if he has a oil can with way oil near it. See if he has wiped off the machine, does he have a manual? Just do some common sense tests and run it, ask if he has ever had to repair anything. I get a kick out of someone who goes and looks at a machine and never runs it. He trusts the seller that it run OK. I always say when you go look at a used car do you start it? Do you take it for a test drive? The same applies to checking a machine. I hope the info helps you and other potential buyers. Rich

Good Morning Skip,

There are a couple of quick ways to determine if the machine has seen a lot of wear. take a flashlight and crank the saddle to the right. Look at the rack under the way and see if the rack teeth all look the same. The left and right end of the rack will be like new, but about a foot to the right of the head stock (HS), that where the wear generally is. Look at the bed-ways near the HS and see if there are any dents in the ways, look at the top of the front male V way and see if there is a ridge that our fingernail will catch on, this is wear. crank the saddle in and look for scratches and dirt, if the way surfaces are dirty and scratched, the former owner did not clean and oil it properly. Crank out the Tail Stock (TS) quill and look at it for scratches wrap you hand around it and see if it will turn or there is a lot of play, if it does the key is worn. Look inside the TS taper and see it is all dinged up or smooth. If you really want to take some time and if the owner will let you take the HS top cover off and look at the gears, see if he has tightened the spindle bearings, look at the drive V belts and see if they are worn.

See if he has an air hose hanging on the machine, see if he has a oil can with way oil near it. See if he has wiped off the machine, does he have a manual? Just do some common sense tests and run it, ask if he has ever had to repair anything. I get a kick out of someone who goes and looks at a machine and never runs it. He trusts the seller that it run OK. I always say when you go look at a used car do you start it? Do you take it for a test drive? The same applies to checking a machine. I hope the info helps you and other potential buyers. Rich

I have to agree with Rich. Inspect it carefully to make sure you are not buying someone else's problems. I have a 110-2072 that I bought three years ago at an estate sale. The previous owner bought it new but used it very little. It was used so little the original packing grease was still on the machine. But it didn't come with a manual and some of the accessories were missing, i.e the four jaw chuck, steady rest, and a couple of the change gears. It's a good solid machine but if something breaks or wears out it will be a challenge to find replacement parts.

BTW an old Grizzly G1001 is very similar to the 2072. Go to the Grizzly website and you can view/download the manual. Not sure if they can still get parts.

Tom S

Morning Richard and Tom,

Thanks for providing some really good sound advice about evaluating a used lathe. I talked to the seller again last night and got some more info. He bought the lathe from a trade school to use for making custom pool cues. He has never used it and it has no tooling. I checked the grizzly web site and they have the manual available online but no parts listing. I think that at this point I will pass on this lathe. I have a respectable budget and do not have any dead lines to meet so I will continue looking until I find a machine that is respectable deal. I'm a software engineer by profession but I have been building hotrods, motorcycles, and furniture since I was 15. Learning how to do metal working is just one of the items on my "bucket list" since I enjoy designing and building almost anything.

Again, Thanks for sharing your knowledge with those of us who are just getting started down this slippery slope. :)

Cheers!

Morning Richard and Tom,

Thanks for providing some really good sound advice about evaluating a used lathe. I talked to the seller again last night and got some more info. He bought the lathe from a trade school to use for making custom pool cues. He has never used it and it has no tooling. I checked the grizzly web site and they have the manual available online but no parts listing. I think that at this point I will pass on this lathe. I have a respectable budget and do not have any dead lines to meet so I will continue looking until I find a machine that is respectable deal. I'm a software engineer by profession but I have been building hotrods, motorcycles, and furniture since I was 15. Learning how to do metal working is just one of the items on my "bucket list" since I enjoy designing and building almost anything.

Again, Thanks for sharing your knowledge with those of us who are just getting started down this slippery slope. :)

Cheers!

IMO you made a good decision. An old lathe with no tooling and no parts availability is a no win situation, unless it's free. Good luck in your search for your new "toy".

Tom S

Back