F150 Ford 10 speed trans lost motion

Charles scozzari

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi, my 2019 F150 crew with 17000 easy miles on the clock is developing a case of lost motion in the middle of a turn and when slowing for a traffic light it sometimes gives a hard downshift back to 1st gear while in drive. My 2016 F150 crew with the 8 speed trans had no such problem. The dealer says there is no problem (with the 10 speed) and don't worry. I have spoken with strangers with 150s and one guy had to replace the trans at 4500 miles on the new truck. Has anyone experienced this in there F150 ????? Thank's.

My '18 Expedition has had zero transmission problems. Same transmission.

Find another dealer that will help you. Our local dealers is a joke. Just 20 miles down the road and they are much better to deal with.
Joe

Having had a (much older, ~96) Ford automatic with fewer speeds I had trouble with the transmission where it would not go into first gear when in the (over)drive position. I had to shift into under-drive while in town and back to over-drive once I hit the highway. I had bought it used and drove it ~50K miles like that until it developed a head gasket problem. Totally unrelated problem, but combined with the related radiator problem made it not worth repairing.

Wife had an '88 Ranger that had a 5 speed manual problem as well. That one was worth fixing (she bought it new), between us we clocked ~250K total, ~100K after replacing the trans. In both(?) cases, the trans was a Mazda build. My point is not to denigrate Mazda, but to point out that light duty transmissions are seldom US made these days. And dealer shops have poor knowledge at best of how they work.

In both cases, I (we) live downwind of a steel mill (pollution) and I worked across town (~25 miles) at another steel mill. The mill pollution was not kind to the finish on a good day, so I usually bought a well used ride. Her ride (new) was a Dodge pick-up.

I happen to have a very close friend who recently sold his (primarily) automatic transmission shop.
He says it's low on fluid. No dipstick so . . . WTF!
When you're in a turn, the fluid pick-up sucks air. When you slow the fluid pick-up sucks air. This will throw many codes on your trans. The hard downshift is an indication of higher than normal pressure as result of the computer trying to cope with the perceived problem.
You can learn how to properly check the fluid level on Youtube or take it to a COMPETENT shop (apparently not the Dealership you spoke of).
After the fluid level is corrected, get the codes cleared.

I started watching this video and I think it's worth the time for you to see what it's all about, even if you don't DIY.
This video includes a filter change too, so it's more than you may need/want. I like seeing the bigger picture anyway.
There are other videos so investigate for yourself, YMMV.
Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'll also chime in and say that my vehicle with a totally different transmission also has no problem!!!!!

Seriously, I have a bit of knowledge on this subject. Ford does not have an 8 speed truck transmission only 6 and 10 speeds. The 6 speed is a ZF/ BMW. The 10 is a GM. What engine do you have as that will determine which trans you have. Need to determine the exact variant of the 10R80, and whether it has auto-start-stop "feature".

Last edited:
I happen to have a very close friend who recently sold his (primarily) automatic transmission shop.
He says it's low on fluid. No dipstick so . . . WTF!
When you're in a turn, the fluid pick-up sucks air. When you slow the fluid pick-up sucks air. This will throw many codes on your trans. The hard downshift is an indication of higher than normal pressure as result of the computer trying to cope with the perceived problem.
You can learn how to properly check the fluid level on Youtube or take it to a COMPETENT shop (apparently not the Dealership you spoke of).
After the fluid level is corrected, get the codes cleared.
Since I posted I found out Ford has (and me) quite a problem with the 10L80 trans. There is a class action lawsuit because Ford has a recall on this problem but is very slow to do anything about it. It seems some of the units react to flashing the TCM, others do not. Early on when I went to ford my dealer to find out what the story is they would tell me there is no problem and not to worry its covered under the warranty any way. I was also told by them Its only trying to LEARN my driving habits and will be OK. So, thanks very much for the help and advice you gave, very much appreciated.

Since I posted I found out Ford has (and me) quite a problem with the 10L80 trans. There is a class action lawsuit because Ford has a recall on this problem but is very slow to do anything about it. It seems some of the units react to flashing the TCM, others do not. Early on when I went to ford my dealer to find out what the story is they would tell me there is no problem and not to worry its covered under the warranty any way. I was also told by them Its only trying to LEARN my driving habits and will be OK. So, thanks very much for the help and advice you gave, very much appreciated.

Have you checked the transmission fluid level in the last two weeks?

Back