Fabricating projects

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I do a fair amount of fabricating in my spare time. I have been needing storage space in my shop, so I decided to build some overhead storage to clear up some floor space. I already had the material for a 4 x 30 foot 'shelf' across one end of the shop.
20200522_091241.jpg

It turned out pretty well, so I decided to build another 4 x 30 shelf down the other end and then connect them with a 4 x 32 shelf across the back.

I needed a way to haul 20 ft long lengths of steel to build the other 2 sides, though, so after considering my options, I decided to build a trailer that would carry 20 ft lengths.

20200514_144038.jpg

The trailer is actually 4 feet wide by 10 feet long (not including the tounge), but the tounge extends out to make the trailer 23 feet long overall...

20200514_144203.jpg

It is not finished yet, but is functional... I'm planning to put a rail around it with a front that will lay flat. I can use it as a 10 ft utility trailer or a 20 ft 'material hauler'.

I used it to bring the steel home to finish my overhead storage.

View attachment 20200522_091201.mp4

What a great idea for a homeowner trailer ! I've seen extendable tongue trailers before like what we have at work for utility poles but so many times I wished my 5 x10' trailer was longer just for the situation you had .

Nice job on the trailer. I love the extendable tongue, reminds me of utility pole trailers. Seems no matter how much space you have, you still need to get things up off the floor. I still have several loft areas to build in my new shop. Cheers, Mike

Just be aware the extended tongue creates a hellacious bending moment in the tubing near the front of the trailer body.
You have to keep the tongue weight at least 10% and therefore the bending loads scale with how long the tube sticks out.

Long winded way of saying you need to do some calcs t make sure the stresses in the tube are acceptable.

Just be aware the extended tongue creates a hellacious bending moment in the tubing near the front of the trailer body.
You have to keep the tongue weight at least 10% and therefore the bending loads scale with how long the tube sticks out.

Long winded way of saying you need to do some calcs t make sure the stresses in the tube are acceptable.

Its 3" square tubing, ¼" wall thickness, and only extends about 7 feet. I will likely never put more than 400 pounds on the trailer with the tounge extended, so I am confident that it is plenty strong.

I modeled it after a trailer that my Dad built quite a few years ago. He used the same size material for his extending tounge, and he was a structural engineer on a bridge construction crew for 30 years, so I don't expect any issues.

-Bear

I'm going down the road of adding overhead shelving in my new shed.
As I'm a cheapskate and its a steel built shed I'm using old internal doors fixed at the wall but suspended with cables at the front.
I use those plastic trundle bins to hold the stuff up there.

Back