Fabricating wood gears

A mill and a router are two different animals. A router is going to have much larger cutting capabilities and a mill is going to be much more stout and can cut steel. Building is a great way to learn how every part fits and when you have an issue, you be much more capable of trouble shooting a problem. Plus, there is a "fun" factor involved for many in the building process. You can't carve with a laser and create a 2 1/2 d relief carving. Lasers have drawbacks also. Most are water cooled and require a circulating chiller system. You need an air extraction system on the larger ones, and the biggest factor is that unless you get into the expensive lasers you are pretty limited as to what you can cut. A Co2 laser can engrave some materials but is not going to be able to cut anything but thin wood, acrylic, leather, paper etc. When you get into the fiber laser and the nitrogen assist types the price rises steeply . Sure you can cut steel, but you're looking at a many thousand watt machine which are very, very expensive.

Buy a clock kit? Ok then you are assembling it, not building it yourself. Go one step further... if you want a wooden clock, just go buy one and skip all of the build and assemble processes. It's all a matter of what you enjoy doing and tying to get out of the experience.

In a roundabout way, that's my point, that much of what we do is just for fun and learning. Cost and logic often has little to do with it. Related to that, it also means that us telling someone how to do something is often pointless since the joy of doing *is* the point.

Oh, and I bought a dividing head, so that's another piece of the thread.

Mike, I would love to find a set of gear cutters for $90! Can you provide a link?
-Dave

Dave, Amazon has a complete set by Hatoly for $84.00 and free shipping.
M1 PA20 20 . I have this set myself. Sorry do not know how to provide a link, just do a search for " Gear cutters " on amazon

The $84 gear cutter set doesn't include an arbor. Is it OK to use a slitting saw arbor (assuming the cutter can be installed on the saw arbor)? I didn't find an arbor on McMaster that is specifically for gear cutters so inquiring minds want to know...

Dave, Amazon has a complete set by Hatoly for $84.00 and free shipping.
M1 PA20 20 . I have this set myself. Sorry do not know how to provide a link, just do a search for " Gear cutters " on amazon

OK, found 2 sets both with 22m bore, one with an R8 arbor. So the arbor should be usable for both sets. One set is 16DP the other is M1 which works out to ~25DP. I don't really care what the particular DP is but my parts are small so 16 or 25 should work.

Links:

I'll probably still end up making hobs for other stuff, but these look great to get started with so I'm not figuring everything out at once.

Homebrewed - you can pick up the M1 set and arbor independently. The "Hatoly" set doesn't list the bore size, so I went for the other.

Looking good, I am working on some of the same stuff to work on clocks etc. I am using a 3 inch Rotary Table to index with. I purchased a set of metric gear cutters and arbor to go with it. Just got a Mini Mill and setting it up to cut the gears. I also have a Mini Lathe that I use to make stuff too.

Keep up the good work, I like the videos :)

To cut wood cleanly, you need speed - and I mean HIGH speed (10,000+ RPM). Speeds which are generally not found in metal cutting machines. I would say that your best machine option would be the CNC router. Another option would be the scroll saw, with the patterns printed on paper and glued to the wood you are cutting. Then there's the classic hand option, as laid out in post #3.

Back