Facing Steel Round On A Lathe...?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm learning to face on the lathe and need to know what lathe bits to use for which diameter of steel?
I.e. If I'm facing 3/4" round steel do I need a 1/2" lathe bit? Is there a formula?
I also have to learn to grind lathe bits for facing. Tom Griffin of Tom's Techniques has a lot of good info.

Please advise. Thanks

I'm learning to face on the lathe and need to know what lathe bits to use for which diameter of steel?
I.e. If I'm facing 3/4" round steel do I need a 1/2" lathe bit? Is there a formula?
I also have to learn to grind lathe bits for facing. Tom Griffin of Tom's Techniques has a lot of good info.

Please advise. Thanks

Not really a formula. It is all about the tool height. As long as the nose cuts to the center then any bit thickness will work. There should be some simple plans on making a height gage for your lathe. Facing is one of the simplest operations everyone does. It does takes practice until it become routine.

You will find just about any tool you can turn with can do the facing too. I've even used round nose cutters with great looking finish, keep your tools sharp they will work better and last longer. If you don't have one get the book on operating the lathe , several different ones are out there and some vocational school books have them too. The more you use your lathe the better you will get , learning your lathe takes time , what it will and won't do . Your lathe will talk to you by the way it sounds if it's hard cutting it will bog down screech when tools are dull. Take your time just be carefull ,no long sleeves or loose hanging jewerly or rings ,things get caught in lathes all over chips fly cut and burn wear an apron and saftey glasses at all times machine is running.

As noted above virtually any tool will work well when facing parts of small diameter changes using small depths of cut. You will notice that I did not say small diameters but small diameter changes, for instance 10" diameter to 8" is a small change, 1" diameter to 0" is a large change where the tool finishes at 0 FPM cutting speed. Do not expect a nice even finish when facing to 0 and avoid this if possible.
If you have a lathe that has a Constant Surface Speed feature go as slow as possible at the beginning of the facing op and the machine will reach max spindle speed before long.
Good Luck

I'm using a Hardinge HLV at work.
I may be able to buy it, (the Hardinge) at a bargain price since they're switching to Cnc for all operations.
Thank you all. What is the best book? or books?

I'm using a Hardinge HLV at work.
I may be able to buy it, (the Hardinge) at a bargain price since they're switching to Cnc for all operations.
Thank you all. What is the best book? or books?
If you operate a Hardinge manual lathe for a living exactly what do you need a "how to" book for?
If looking for instruction in CNC controls wait until you discover exactly which machine manufacturers products your employers purchase, there are considerable differences between Fanuc, Mazak, Haas and Mitsubishi to name a few. All of which may be programmed in raw G-code but this is very slow and cumbersome at best.

Last edited:
Back