Facing tool keeps leaving .0005 to .001 lines down the part.

Ok this image is using my facing tool from right to left on the x axis.I measured the thickness of this piece where the measurements are written. As you can see, it appears to me that the front of the mill is sagging just a bit .0015 if my math is correct. So that means I should be shimming the toe (closest to operator) about a thousandth? My guess would be a little more to compensate for the weight of the head and column. Does this seem correct? Or is it something else that I am missing?IMG_20200607_220402.jpg

Leaving a ridge parallel to the direction of cut when facing can only be due to one thing. The spindle axis is not perpendicular to the ways that are perpendicular to the direction of cut. It is typically assumed that tramming the spindle to the table is equivalent to tramming to the ways and that is not necessarily true.

A sweep of the table in x and y directions with a DTI can reveal a non parallel condition although one has to be aware of extenuating conditions such as loose gibs, e.g. When the table is moved to an extreme condition, the center of gravity can be over an unsupported region and the table can tilt. Here is a graph showing this tilt and the improvement when the gibs are adjusted.
Tormach 770 Table  Profile.JPG

The method that I use to tram the spindle is to clamp a piece of plate to the the table and mill a circular path equal in diameter to the path of tramming tool.using a small diameter end mill. The path by default will be parallel to the x and y ways. For a manual mill, four elevated bosses at the + and - extents in x any y can be created. These surfaces will be the tramming points.

In the case of your mill, a non trammed condition in the y direction can be caused by several factors. The spindle may not be parallel to the z axis ways. The z axis gib can be too loose, causing the head to droop slightly. The quill may have excessive play causing sag. The mill column may not be perpendicular to the y axis ways. Your axes can be locked down which will eliminate any tilt due to loose gibs. You can also lock the quill which will effectively eliminate play.

A simple check for tram is to face in both directions. A properly trammed spindle will have a similar cut pattern . If you have cross hatching in one direction but not the other, you have an out of tram condition. Small mills will experience deflection due to cutting force which will raise the trailing side of the facing tool, causing the arcs to be be facing the same way. If the out of tram condition equals or exceeds the cutting force deflection, the back side of the tool contacts the surface resulting in a cross hatch pattern. Depending on the depth of cut and rigidity of the machine, a very light cut or second pass on a well trammed machine can still yield a cross hatch pattern.

Whoa. That was a lot to digest. Thank you very much for the info! I think that I got the gist of it all. But what I think is the ultimate culprit is the vise! After tramming the crap out of the table with a .001 shim till I got about .0005 or better across the y axis. Then I added the vise and everything went out the window. I trammed the vise only to see a .0035 swing over a few inches on the vise. Gah. Not sure how to fix this issue, but to call grizzly and see what they will do about that. unless you guys have a suggestion.

Any machinists in Taos, NM that are willing to come over and help me adjust this puppy? I know that I can get it dialed in, but when one is flailing by oneself, you can't really learn how to flail differently.

Back