Failed (overheated?) X2 Mini Mill

Thanks guys! I'm not sure what the heck to do on that trimmer. Most people seemed to say they adjusted it until it cut off at some specific load. I swear I swung that thing in both directions for several turns with no effect at all. Not even sure what I'm expecting it to do. Not quite so bothered by it as I do have a belt drive, so that'll probably just slip if things get bad enough.

Take Care

<edit>- FWIW- I was plunging through a railroad spike with about a half inch drill bit while testing the pot. I was able to put enough pressure on it to make the belt slip, but nothing ever cut off.

If you are reffing to the torque adjustment pot I'm not sure what to say! On mine when I turned it counterclockwise to the stop I was able to very easily get the overload protection circuit to kick in and cut the power with slight pressure from a single finger regardless of the speed. When slowly turning the pot clockwise the torque level increases before that fault circuit kicks in. Before I adjusted mine, the lathe would fault out with a medium handshake type grip/pressure on the chuck. Taking even very shallow cuts into soft plastic was a problem but after adjustment I can now take nice cuts from aluminum as well as mild steel before it shuts down due to a torque fault!

Latinrascalrg1- Thanks, that actually answers one of the questions I had if this mini mill board has a similar configuration. I had no idea which direction might eventually trigger it.

On the plus side, it did overheat or something today during the drilling of a long 3/8" hole for a boring bar holder. That light came on and the machine stopped running, so apparently there is something which will trip it. I'll mess with it again later and just take things slow and careful for the time being.

Take Care

Back