Fair market value in the NE USA

FWest

Active User
Registered
I have an older Logan lathe. 1941 200 model. The machine is not new but works OK. I added a Chinese tool post and have a couple of accessories. Can a few members give me an opinion on it's value. I want to put it up for sale soon as I find myself working on much smaller projects and may get a Taig or Sherline.

Thanks, FWestIMG_20140811_194108.jpg

IMG_20140811_194108.jpg

unless there's something wrong with it or you don't have the space anymore, there's nothing you could do on a Sherline/ Taig that you can't do on that Logan and a whole bunch of stuff (threading for example) that you can't do on a Sherline/ Taig that you can on the Logan. Plus, you're unlikely to make any money out of the downsize and will most likely spend money retooling for the smaller lathe.

If you are set on selling it, you should be able to get $7-800 easily and $1000 with some time/ effort.

unless there's something wrong with it or you don't have the space anymore, there's nothing you could do on a Sherline/ Taig that you can't do on that Logan and a whole bunch of stuff (threading for example) that you can't do on a Sherline/ Taig that you can on the Logan. Plus, you're unlikely to make any money out of the downsize and will most likely spend money retooling for the smaller lathe.

If you are set on selling it, you should be able to get $7-800 easily and $1000 with some time/ effort.

I'm set up in a spare room, on a slab, so it's size is some of the issue. I also have an interest in setting up a CNC, at some point, so that leads me to the smaller lathes.

Thanks for your opinion.

FWest

I would say that Matt nailed it as far as the value of the machine goes, so long as it's in good running shape and you throw in a few accessories. I sold a south bend 9" in about the same condition as yours a year ago. I had it on Craig's list for $1000, I ended up settling on $750, with a brand new Chinese 3 jaw, and tool post. He was happy and so was I.

Thanks for the info. I have posted it my local CL. See what happens.

Back