Fake vs Genuine Mitutoyo Calipers

Chewy

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Clough42 posted this video the other day and I thought it would make a great reference video. I do not have any Mitutoyo Digital Calipers. I use Shars for the most part. I usually plan to .001 tolerance and by cross checking with "real" micrometers I usually end up with in .002 or closer of desired reading. That covers 99 percent of what I have to make. Anything closer I rough out with calipers and finish with micrometer and gauge blocks at current temperature. Press fits and cylinder bores. There are several videos by You Tubers that compare cheap vs expensive calipers. This one shows the actual knockoff differences on one name brand.

I saw that when he posted it and then went into the shop to look at mine. I knew mine were genuine since I bought them through authorized distributors, but it was interesting to see that my 20ish year old calipers were almost identical the the fakes. The one I have that is a couple years old was the same as his genuine calipers.

I wonder does customs try to seize that stuff when they can? They should
Blatant (or not so blatant) rip-offs
Mitutoyo should list the current draw in their leaflet- make it harder for the counterfeiters

Last edited:
They do sieze them when they find them, but since they don’t have the manpower to check many shipments, a lot still makes it through. I’ve seen reports they sieze over $1 billion per year in counterfeit goods. I would guess most of their seizures are the result of manufacturers filing a complaint.

Back