Favorite / lube fluid coolant you using in your PM lathe ?

Spotshooter

Registered
Registered
Just wondering what people use...

Especially if you chamber barrels :)

Mike

All turning - nothing. Threading, cuttoff, and difficult materials: Sulfated cutting oil. Chambering - Brownells equivalent to Vipers Venom.

I *never* use soluble oil in my lathe. It is just too much trouble: the mix goes stagnant and begins to stink - it even sometimes grows staff bacteria. It rusts the lathe (Yes, I know it isn't supposed to in the right mix - But my lathes never rust and I've seen so many...)

I have run coolant on my lathe a few times and determined it is not worth the trouble for the limited use it gets. I run KOOLrite 2290 on my CNC mill and it is the most user / machine friendly coolant I have used. The mill is setup to run flood coolant where the lathe is not and requires a thorough cleaning after using. I don't get rust or odor from the KOOLrite but it will darken bright metal if left standing too long.

If you use the coolant system on your lathe you will quickly learn the pump & tank access has nothing to be desired. I moved them outside of the stand.

For barrel work I never saw a reason to use anything other than sulfated cutting oil. We don't chamber at high pressures. I recently did a stainless barrel with some Ridgid Endura Clear I got from a plumber friend. It's formulated for stainless. Worked well with little to no odor.

I use a really light cutting oil in my sump (relion) and use the more expensive cutting fluids via a hand oiler - works great, but I was wondering how many people if anyone uses the sump with water based coolants - Not so much.

The only way I use soluable oil on anything is from a garden sprayer. Works just fine, and not much mess to clean up...

Back