Felt for way wipes?

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So I'm cleaning up my little 8x18 lathe and the felt way wipes are looking pretty sorry. I plan on making new holders for the felt, and was wondering what thickness felt would be a good size (it looks like ~1/8" felt is in there now)?

Also, should it be a hard, medium, or soft felt? A supplier recommendation or two would be nice as well. :)

TIA

Craft stores like Michaels often have felt. Some auto parts stores also carry rolls or sheets
Many sources online

So I'm cleaning up my little 8x18 lathe and the felt way wipes are looking pretty sorry. I plan on making new holders for the felt, and was wondering what thickness felt would be a good size (it looks like ~1/8" felt is in there now)?

Also, should it be a hard, medium, or soft felt? A supplier recommendation or two would be nice as well. :)

TIA
The felt in the Phenom Engineering Way Wipers for my 7x16 Mini-Lathe are 1/8" thick and are (to me) medium (measured as Shore "A" 40 – 45). I couldn't find a conversion for Shore A readings to Felt Grade, but Sutherland Felt has an Application Chart that lists F-5 for "Wipers.)

I have purchased felt from Duro-Felt several times in the past. They have a range of sizes at what seem to be good prices, and always have a bunch of stuff on sale/clearance. Also, shipping if free within the U.S. They have a bunch of different widths of 1/8" thick felt, which just happens to be F-5. Unfortunately, it comes in 25' rolls, so you'll have a lifetime supply. You can also email them and see if they have something else in smaller quantities.

I previously used 1/4" on my PM-1340 and have extra, if you need some me PM me the amount you need and address, and I can mail it to you.

When I redid the wipers on the Takisawa, I saw that the thickness is not critical because the metal cover plates are held on with screws that just accomodate and hold whatever thickness of felt there is. But 1/8" medium from McMaster Carr worked fine.

The wool felt from McMaster is durable and high quality stuff. Anything else is made for providing LRF support to protect your furniture (LRF= Little Rubber Feet). The stuff McM gets is for wicking oil in precision machinery, it feels like a tool in hand, not like craft materials.

Back