Finally the chuck is off.

Cyclebuster

Registered
Registered
i tried a half dozen times to get the chuck off my Walcott. i was afraid i would break a gear so i quit every time, after applying lethal force. BUT today I chucked up a square piece, and put a 15 in crescent wrench on it, and hit it about 5 times with a large rubber hammer. And its off. Well long enough to get that damn center pin someone left in there, now i can work on long stock.

Great news ! This reminded me , I put a small stuck chuck in a gallon of Evaporust 2 weeks ago . I hope there's something left of it . :eek:

I've got a 24 inch chuck stuck on the spindle of a lathe. Maybe I'll get the courage to try to get it off before the summer is over.

wow, that's a BIG chuck @vocatexas .. is it rusted on? can you put an eye ring on and tighten up from above, then put a come along on the chuck using a shaft tightened in the jaws, with a lifting ring also facing the tailstock. add a lifting strap on your tailstock as far away as possible lock it down, and attach the come along to that and the chucked up ring. protect everything you can... you may want to put a small lifting ring on that chucked up piece on the inside to control it from flying off... just allow it 2 or 3 inches of movement before stopping.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's on that 36 inch L&S. It's got a weird spindle pilot on it and the chuck, as big is at is, screws on. When I start rebuilding that lathe, that will be job number one. I haven't decided if I'm going to do the 16 inch or the 36 first. I'm leaning toward the 16. I think it will be a lot easier just due to it's size.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread...

feel free to continue the thread as you want. how old is the 24? mine is 1917

Back