Finding my way with my new 9A

Paul_NJ

Registered
Registered
I finally got around to rewiring my new (to me) SB 9A, and trying to run it for the first time since I acquired it.

P1020317.JPG
Clearly what I need is operating instructions, but hopefully someone can get me going.

I can activate the head shaft when I pull (and hold) the shown lever, but the moment I release it it kicks out and the gears disengage.

handle.jpg

Please hep me get started . . . do I have to lock in the engagement handle? . . . any insights and suggestions are welcome . . . not really sure what I've got here . . .

20180331_190145.jpg

Thank you!

That handle engages the backgear. You can run it in direct by engaging the pin in the bullgear(the biggest gear all the way to the right on the spindle). You probably just need to adjust the backgear linkage to make it stay engaged. You can't have the pin engaged in the bullgear when engaging the backgear.

Yes - stop what you are doing! You never want to engage the back gears while belt is already turning the cone pulleys. That seems like a good way to break teeth off the gears. With the lathe off, loosen the belt, then turn the cone pulley and spindle/chuck in opposite directions. The pin on the large gear attached to the cone pulley should find its hole and lock the spindle to the cone pulley. You can then put the belt on and turn the cone pulley/spindle directly from the belt. As a previous post mentioned, when you want to use the back gear it can be adjusted (with screws at the bottom of the eccentric shaft) so that when you engage The gears do not pop out. Again- only engage and disengage the back gear with the lathe OFF!

Rick

There is a tension adjustment screw that will hold the back gears in place. Never change gears with the machine running, always do it by hand and rotate the spindle by hand to get the gears to engage. Watching some videos as the guys have mentioned is a great way to become familiar with the machine. You don't want to break the old girl as parts can take time to find and are becoming very expensive.

Back