Finished Assembling My Lathe

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I got the lathe back together today and took made a few chips with it. I didn't have much time to play with it, but it seems to run really smooth. I need to make a thumbscrew for the compound dial. I guess that will be the first project I make with it. I have been trying to find a pic of a 4904 with the collet rack mounted on it. I know I can mount it however I want, but I'm curious how it was mounted initially. Can anyone enlighten me? Here's a pic of the finished machine:

DSC04503.JPG

Wow! She turned out really nice, Chuck. Great job.

Why is it dirty? :LOL:

Looks great Chuck! I like that color ALOT!

Good lookin machine chuck!!!! Dont you wish they stayed clean and pretty like that forever. Takes a lot of love and care to make one look that good and run smooth too. Definately a good score!!!

Bob

Beautiful. Great job.

I have a Clausing I need to restore. It's a rare 5310 model. Maybe someday....

Thanks guys. That's the cleanest you will ever see this lathe...lol. I had some time to play around with it today. I decided to make the little thumbscrew I needed for my compound dial. I thought I would dial in the Buck 3 jaw adjustable chuck that I was so proud to have and use it to make the screw. Imagine my dismay when I realized that one of the previous owners had messed up the jaws on it. They were bell mouthed so bad that it wouldn't even begin to grip for the last 1/2". I decided to grind them, which would have been easy enough....if my toolpost grinder fit the compound. Sooo...an hour later after making a tee nut to fit the slot, I ground the ID of the jaws. I figured I couldn't make them any worse than they were. It turned out real nice. After grinding the jaws I disassembled it and cleaned years of swarf out of it, milled some slots in the mounting plate for a spanner wrench, and put it back together. This is the first adjustable chuck I've ever used. I'm impressed. I didn't spend a lot of time dialing it in, but it's less than 0.001 runout, which is good enough for most of the stuff I do. I had resigned myself to using a 4 jaw all the time because the scroll chucks I have are all worn and inaccurate. I could get used to using this chuck.

Back