Firsrt steam engine, need help finding an Easy-Flo 45 supplier

Thanks Jim! I'll give them a call tomorrow morning. :))

Hello again everyone;

I just thought that I would get back to you to let you know that I have found two suppliers of the Easy-Flo 45 (with cadmium) for silver brazing besides the one that Jim mentioned. These are SRA ( http://sra-solder.com/silver-brazing-wire/ ) who charges $52.69 for a one ounce "coil" of the 1/16" wire solder (length is not stated, but when I receive mine from them I will post the length of the coil ) and another supplier called "Friends Yankee Shop Models" (http://www.friendsmodels.com/buildingmaterials/solderandflux.html ) who sells it by the foot (1/16") for $30.00 - OUCH! "Friends" also sells wheel and cylinder castings kits for building Kozo's steam locos as well as other loco parts kits. Prices are a bit steep in my opinion, but OTOH there are not many castings suppliers out there .
On the subject of the silver solder, I really do not think that I am out of line in stating that the $30.00 price per foot that "Friends" is asking is a bit steep since I had checked with the supplier Lucas-Milhaupt as to their pricing for the same stuff . Lucas charges $69.00 for a three ounce "clamshell" package of Easy-Flo 45, but there is a 10 ounce minimum purchase. I did not pursue buying it direct from them because I did not want to buy that much at one time. However, if you are in the market for this solder, it may be cheaper in the long run to buy direct from the manufacturer if possible. The distributor companies they send you to do not normally carry it and will not special order it for you. I am posting this only for information purposes for the forum membership. Please do not misunderstand and think that I am "dissing" the Friends models place for their pricing- they are free to charge whatever they want and there may be factors at work that I am unaware of that require their pricing the solder at $30.00 per foot, I simply do not know, but I do believe the other avenues are cheaper. I just wanted to post what information that I have managed to find out.

Back