First impressions on results

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Soaked a chuck awhile back in WD-40 rust lick ( evaporust ) . After a year or a year and a half , I was not impressed . I found this under the Foosball table today while cleaning up . The back plate will be repurposed , the chuck is scheduled for burial in early April .

Attachments

• IMG_9669.JPG
    IMG_9669.JPG
    513.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_9670.JPG
    IMG_9670.JPG
    594.1 KB · Views: 126
Soaked a chuck awhile back in WD-40 rust lick ( evaporust ) . After a year or a year and a half , I was not impressed . I found this under the Foosball table today while cleaning up . The back plate will be repurposed , the chuck is scheduled for burial in early April .
Eric (Hand Tool Rescue) did a 3-Year Experiment with some unexpected results.

Just to be clear, this was actual Evaporust or WD-40s equivalent? I've seen real Evaporust do some amazing things, but I guess at some point a part could just be too far gone. I've had a few wrenches I gave up on before.

Give it a bath in some pickling solution, then give it the wire brush, it looks like it is a fairly easy salvage. If you're into that sort of thing. Depends on if the chuck is worth the trouble.

I did a restoration on a 14" Rohm 3J chuck 3 months ago. the insides were flaking rust from 50 years of coolant leaking into the gear assembly. The slots and jaws were good, so we hand scrubbed every part of it, including some hand stoning on the scroll.

It looked unrecoverable, but we finally got it all back together. It holds 1/2 thou at 1" and .7 thou at 2". A big win for my friend's lathe. It will never be like new, but it works fine!

Relooking at your pictures. Did you disassemble the chuck and clean all the grease out? It looks like the inside is still full of grease. That will keep the solution from working where grease is. I leaned that first hand

Cutting oil is my blood.

Was that even completely under the solution the whole time?

Give it a good cleaning and boil it in distilled water for a hour or so.
It will convert any red rust to black oxide and then soak it in cutting fluid for a few days. It will be fine

Last edited:
Back