First project on new lathe. Cigar ashtray

K30

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I had some free time the other day, and a couple inch thick round of 9 1/2" 6061. So, I figured I'd turn out an ashtray for my buddy's Christmas present. There's practically no dimensioning, and I don't really have the tooling I needed to do this, but I thought it came out pretty ok for the first thing I've turned in about 27 years. Especially given the chinese inserts I had. I think it'd probably be a good idea to relieve the bottom minus a bit of a rim so it'll sit better on an uneven surface, and I don't have a mill for the cigar rests. Might have to see if the local guys have a ball mill that big and 10 minutes to do that. This is as turned, i didn't emery it.
20220930_165411.jpg20220930_195029.jpg

Nice job.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Reactions: K30
Mark the cigar positions you want, mount it vertically in the mill vise, and an end mill of your chosen diameter, and you don't need a ball. It might be interesting to have each position made with different diameter slots for different diameter cigars like two, or three different sizes right next to each other at 4 positions??? Just blabbering....

Mark the cigar positions you want, mount it vertically in the mill vise, and an end mill of your chosen diameter, and you don't need a ball. It might be interesting to have each position made with different diameter slots for different diameter cigars like two, or three different sizes right next to each other at 4 positions??? Just blabbering....
He stated he doesn’t have a mill so he needs to take it to a shop…

You can always rig up your lathe. Remove your compound and mount the ashtray then mount an end mill or even a boring bar to cut the cutouts. As it is totally non critical this would be fine. It would also be a fun exercise to expand your creative problem solving skills. Just a thought.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I'm sorry, I knew he did not have a mill, I was not clear that if he took it to his "local guys" he could do it that way.

You could knurl the outside with a light knurl.

We made a tool for working on Atmos clocks, started as a scrap yard slug.

Smooth did not look right so light knurl and it looks mush better.

Easier to hold too.
18f665c6bf1a0b5c1d86ab33bf3a1527.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back