Fix the chuck

EST

Registered
Registered
So I really need to grind the chuck on my lathe.
20210818_173325.jpg
I made a holding plate today. And tomorrow I get to loan a grinder. But I have to do me a holder to get it up in the tool holder before I can use it. So hopefully next week. Any tips beforehand?
Never done this but been using grinding machines and fabricating holders allot before. But always easy to miss the obvious

I ground the jaws on a 4 jaw chuck and just fabricated kind of a quick and dirty mount for my pneumatic die grinder from some scrap material I had on hand. Couple of photos attached.
IMG_20200423_141116426.jpg
IMG_20200423_141116426.jpgIMG_20200423_142358916.jpg

That looks like a good setup!
My jaws are bigger towards the opening. So not so good.

All done. Took some time as they were in really bad shape.
I could use my tube holder to mount the grinder in. So it was really easy. Then had the feed backwards so I didn't have to be on my toes
IMG_20210822_192344_103.jpg

Have you checked runout after the regrind?

Well I'm sorry that I'm not so used to English terms. But I think you may mean what I'll will answer to
I put up a long material in it and indicated. And when I pull at it is only flexes for the bearings and springs back. So I'm as happy with it as I can be with the hard jaws. Before I could move out allot and if I took a light I could see a gap on 1/2 the jaws. And that is gone now.
So as good as it gets but I still would need a new chuck as I only have this jaws to it. And can't find any more for it. But now I don't have to rush and look for new one at once.

Back