Flame coloring

keltg

Active User
Registered
I just finished putting an old Crescent arms SXS back into working condition re doing the springs, replacing the weak parts with either new when possible or manufactured, with a 120 year old shotgun manufactured happens a lot more often than purchasing. When it came to getting the case harden colors i was left scratching my head a little, not having the high heat furnace, or the other required tools, I did some research and asking some questions flaming the steel sounded like a safe alternative. i heated the steel till i got a certain color be it the straw, brown, blue, violet, or any combination of the mentioned colors, then quenched the metal in oil sealing the colors. the receiver turned out beautiful as put by the owner. With some patience i found i could draw the colors in almost a predictable pattern and could match the pattern fairly evenly from side to side.

:worthless:

Sounds cool though!

-Cody
Sorry Cody didn't have the photos on my computer till this morning. here are a couple photos of what the flaming turned out like.DSC_0157.jpgDSC_0158.jpgDSC_0161.jpg

The last photo is close to the finished product the wood work is left to do.

DSC_0157.jpg DSC_0158.jpg DSC_0161.jpg

Back