Flood Coolant on a Harig 618

GT-6 Racer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Finally got around to making a nozzle and assembling the flood coolant for my surface grinder. Tested it out on some auction sourced setup blocks that were not matched. What a Fantastic improvement. Using a cheap pump from Amazon and Trim 9106 synthetic coolant. Great surface finish. No heat. Not much mess…

BF527280-3406-4C66-9515-6006C82450B0.jpeg397F43AD-5E84-4ECA-B9BE-118AE53ACBFE.jpeg

I like your nozzle; quite fancy. Are you using a bucket sump? Any filtration? I did a bucket with a settling grate at the bottom, with I'm guessing a similar pump, when I ground the chuck on my B&S 618, and I have used it for a few other things. The coolant got dark when I ground some cast iron so I emptied it and I haven't mixed a new batch. I've been using a sprayer, which is not nearly as good.

Yes just a bucket sump, pump up off the bottom. The nozzle is an adaptation of one I saw that Tom Lipton has in some of his videos. Seems to work well. swarf separates really well with this coolant. We shall see how it goes.

Best to not locate the pump at the bottom of the sump to avoid recirculating swarf, also good to create a series of baffles in the sump to direct swarf to the bottom to settle out, this is how my B&S Micromaster grinder's tank is made. a large volume of coolant capacity also helps to allow settling out of swarf, which if recirculated leads to defects in the finish obtained.

Thanks for the advice. Any chance of a picture of the internal baffles? I’ve a bunch of stainless sheet that likely will get converted into a tank that would slide into the spot in the bottom left side of the base. Maybe I can get 5-8 gal total. Bucket test was very successful though

I don't do well posting pictures, but will describe the tank, it is 16 X 20 1/2" and 16" deep and sits up on legs about 2" or so tall, water level is about 13" deep, there are two baffles extending across the 16" direction, they fit in between two formed angles (snugly) that are spot welded to the tank internal sides, the baffles are equally spaced on the 20.5 length of the tank, they extend to the bottom of the tank, and have two holes for circulation looking like a small window 6" down from the top and 4" high and 2 1/2" wide, located 1/2" from the edge, the holes are located at opposite sides of the tank. the pump suction is located about 8" down from the top of the tank in the last compartment of the tank, the inlet coming in at the opposite corner in the first compartment via a hose to near the bottom of the compartment. The tank is made is steel sheet and had numerous holes in the bottom in the form of pits, I blasted it clean and laid in a two part urethane goop to seal it up. I'm not sure that stainless would fare any better, as it is also attacked in situations that may be oxygen poor, as infrequently used machine coolant sumps sometimes get. I once saw a bowl of a centrifuge that was left after use and rinsed out, being sealed up it got an algal bloom, this depleted the oxygen and in the space of a year developed an area of pitting over 1/8" deep and several square inches in area, it was subsequently welded up and re machined.
My friend the engineer diagnosed the problem as "oxygen deprivation corrosion", common on areas underwater with agal growth.

I don't do well posting pictures, but will describe the tank, it is 16 X 20 1/2" and 16" deep and sits up on legs about 2" or so tall, water level is about 13" deep, there are two baffles extending across the 16" direction, they fit in between two formed angles (snugly) that are spot welded to the tank internal sides, the baffles are equally spaced on the 20.5 length of the tank, they extend to the bottom of the tank, and have two holes for circulation looking like a small window 6" down from the top and 4" high and 2 1/2" wide, located 1/2" from the edge, the holes are located at opposite sides of the tank. the pump suction is located about 8" down from the top of the tank in the last compartment of the tank, the inlet coming in at the opposite corner in the first compartment via a hose to near the bottom of the compartment. The tank is made is steel sheet and had numerous holes in the bottom in the form of pits, I blasted it clean and laid in a two part urethane goop to seal it up. I'm not sure that stainless would fare any better, as it is also attacked in situations that may be oxygen poor, as infrequently used machine coolant sumps sometimes get. I once saw a bowl of a centrifuge that was left after use and rinsed out, being sealed up it got an algal bloom, this depleted the oxygen and in the space of a year developed an area of pitting over 1/8" deep and several square inches in area, it was subsequently welded up and re machined.
My friend the engineer diagnosed the problem as "oxygen deprivation corrosion", common on areas underwater with agal growth.
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Back