Flood Cooling?

I used a couple sink strainers turned upside down in the chip pan to catch the large chips, and a coffee filter on the lid of the coolant tank for the return to catch the fines and never had a pump problem.

Sink-strainer__45454.1301444941.1280.1280.jpg

I keep thinking that atomizers have been around since the French invented perfume.

It really should not be any big deal to rig up a piston powered atomizer for coolant. Make a little one for oil or water based, and a larger one for air. Then have them mix in a nozzle. Would use no air for oil, and air with water based to help evaporation. I bet it would run really quiet and eliminate the need for a compressor to drive a Cool Mist system.

I'd think either a vane pump or more likely a gear pump. Should be great for your purpose. Good idea on the filter/strainer. It's not that coolant (or cutting oil) has to be super clean, but you don't want too many chips in the pump if it turns out to be a gear pump. Screen will suffice as a strainer. A real filter, such as one with a paper element will clog too easily. Is this pump submersible or does it have a hose connection for suction?

There is another pump type which uses an elastomer impeller much like a vane pump. The advantage is that it is self-priming and will tolerate some particulate matter though chips would probably be a challenge. The common brand name pump is Oberdorfer.

As I understand it, a gear pump is a constant displacement pump usually used for high pressure applications as in hydraulics. A coolant system needs a low pressure pump with low to moderate flow rate. My system has a maximum pressure of 10 psi and a maximum flow rate of about .8 gal/min. It is a centrifugal pump and has the pump motor located above the tank, eliminating the need for hermetic seals.

The pump I planned to flood the Gisholt #5 turret lathe with is labeled Viking Houdaille F32. But she is attached to a frame which looks alot like the F32D (with drive).

Ok, not period appropriate for a 1939 turret lathe: "Viking Pump was acquired by Houdaille Corporation in 1968. Houdaille was bought by TI Group PLC in 1987, which in 1989 sold Viking and five other Houdaille subsidiaries to IDEX Corporation." http://www.vikingpump.com/about-us/history

The existing motor is ODP. I didn't take the pump apart. But, I'm unclear from the description in this pdf what type of pump this is.
Based on what is written in the pdf it should work. 1.5gallons per minute, and this description of: "Viking General Purpose Series 32 pumps are extremely well suited for light, medium and intermittent servicehandling a variety of liquids. The smaller sizes “C”, “F” and“FH” are constructed for heavier duty service." http://www.genemco.com/catalog/pdf/Viking K32 Info.pdf

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• Viking K32 Info.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
Unless you have the mill table and spindle enclosed. like on a cnc it will throw coolant everywhere. For manual milling a brush or squirt bottle work qoit well.
Here is the best method that I have found to control spray while using flood coolant. The curtain is 6 mil vinyl sheet and I use magnets to hold it in place.Tormach Curtain .JPG

This application is for a turret lathe. Sounds like I going to bend up sheet steel splash shields!

Daryl
MN

This application is for a turret lathe. Sounds like I going to bend up sheet steel splash shields!

Daryl
MN
It is amazing how much coolant gets to the chuck and the larger diameter sure likes to throw it around. Plan to shield it as well.

It is amazing how much coolant gets to the chuck and the larger diameter sure likes to throw it around. Plan to shield it as well.

I ran a turret lathe in my younger days. You are correct, a chuck will sling a lot of coolant. At the end of the day I was soaking wet. But I did learn a lot about material machinability, speed, feeds, tool overhang and offsets, and a whole lot more.

Tom S

I ran a turret lathe in my younger days. You are correct, a chuck will sling a lot of coolant. At the end of the day I was soaking wet. But I did learn a lot about material machinability, speed, feeds, tool overhang and offsets, and a whole lot more.

Tom S

It always amazed me how far a small stream of coolant could be slung when it hits the jaws of the chuck. A shield makes a good improvement.

Back