Flowers workout?

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I guess I may be just gorgeously unfit, and I don't know what induced me to get involved with seed stuff anyway. These were inadvertently purchased by mistake because I thought I was buying ready-grown stuff in pots for the missus. English wild flower mix. Dang - but some of those seeds are tiny!

I mixed a few with some building sand, and spread them in compost in those little plastic array things. So once they get started, one becomes a bit invested in keeping them going. Way too many, and I had to split them into bigger plastic things. By now, I had regrets. Comes the time they are a mass of roots, struggling to share the little cube of earth each, and they are showing signs of trouble. OK then, find some random spots outside. Behind the (nearly complete) new workshop, facing the farm field seems good!

So I get out the mattock blade pick, and start digging the holes to plant these out. Not big holes really, just a few inches here and there. By the time I finished digging, and planting, and watering, and getting down on my knees, and up again, seemingly endlessly, I had probably around thirty little holes, then filled with plants, and watered. I was totally puffed out! The only bit of metal I re-shaped right then was on the top of a beer bottle!

I never before thought the stuff these gardening types get up to could be such a work-out!

I think the popular easy method is just to scatter the seeds and cover with a light topping of soil, water and hope for the best
They're seeds, they know what to do. Of course, so do the birds :)
-Mark

I guess I may be just gorgeously unfit, and I don't know what induced me to get involved with seed stuff anyway. These were inadvertently purchased by mistake because I thought I was buying ready-grown stuff in pots for the missus. English wild flower mix. Dang - but some of those seeds are tiny!

I mixed a few with some building sand, and spread them in compost in those little plastic array things. So once they get started, one becomes a bit invested in keeping them going. Way too many, and I had to split them into bigger plastic things. By now, I had regrets. Comes the time they are a mass of roots, struggling to share the little cube of earth each, and they are showing signs of trouble. OK then, find some random spots outside. Behind the (nearly complete) new workshop, facing the farm field seems good!

So I get out the mattock blade pick, and start digging the holes to plant these out. Not big holes really, just a few inches here and there. By the time I finished digging, and planting, and watering, and getting down on my knees, and up again, seemingly endlessly, I had probably around thirty little holes, then filled with plants, and watered. I was totally puffed out! The only bit of metal I re-shaped right then was on the top of a beer bottle!

I never before thought the stuff these gardening types get up to could be such a work-out!

A new hobby. And cheaper!

The well thought out and hand crafted, small bent piece of metal at the end was integral to the whole planting paradigm ask any gardener.
Cheers

I'm a gardener and a hobby machinist. Love the workout especially when you grow yummy food, it's tomato season now....

John

This hobby died for me after my fourth straight year of struggle. I still get some garden veggies from coworkers, but gave up on being able to do it myself. The effort going into it ended up being far greater than my enjoyment of the results. My wife is awesome with the flowers though. She works very hard at it, and is remarkably satisfied with the results. So maybe flowers are more rewarding?

Those seeds are actually meant to feed the birds. They're far less expensive when purchased in a 10 lb. to 50 lb. bag. Next time buy them like this. You'll save lots of money, do far less work, and still be able to enjoy them.

When you put them in the ground to grow flowers they are nice, but way to much work. For many years we had flower gardens and potted plants all over the place. We spent more time caring for them than we did enjoying them. The gardens are now back to lawn and the pots are off to the Good Will store. Now the birds enjoy the seeds, and we enjoy the birds.

As a bonus the birds sometimes scatter the seeds around. That attracts the rabbits and the dogs chase the rabbits. It all works out great because the dogs then get tired, don't need long walks, and I get more time in the shop.

As a bonus the birds sometimes scatter the seeds around. That attracts the rabbits and the dogs chase the rabbits. It all works out great because the dogs then get tired, don't need long walks, and I get more time in the shop.
Ahh, the great circle of life!

Back