WTB Fly cutter

upjeeper

Registered
Registered
Looking to buy a fly cutter to use on my Rong Fu RF-30
shipped to Wisconsin

Welcome to H-M. Are you looking for recommendations for a fly cutter or for a vendor that ships to Wisconsin or just updating us on your current activity?

Tom

If you have a lathe, then these are easy enough to make.
The difficult part is correctly grinding the angles on the HSS cutter.

Daryl
MN

Welcome to H-M. Are you looking for recommendations for a fly cutter or for a vendor that ships to Wisconsin or just updating us on your current activity?

Tom
hi Tom,
thanks for the welcome.
I'm looking to purchase a fly cutter for my mill. i do have some end mills, but i'm looking for a fly cutter style

at the moment i don't have easy access to a lathe

Lots of options for purchasing.
If you are looking for a budget cutter(s) you might consider Shars or CDCO, Penn, etc.
Please note that I've not seen these cutters, nor do I have an opinion of these companies.
But.... https://www.shars.com/products/toolholding-workholding/fly-cutters
Looks like they are offering a three cutter set for $19.95

Travers is offering a 3 piece set for more. Different quality? https://www.travers.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=fly cutter tool

Also, consider checking out out CDCO, Penn, McMaster, MSCDirect, eBay's used, etc.

Be careful of going to large a diameter on your Rung Fu. Carefully watch your grinds, speeds and feeds, and make double sure your cutters are secured well. Regardless, please be safe, have heaps of fun, and learn much. And know that this doesn't need to be an expensive hobby.

Daryl
MN

16779399496135281777173986967797.jpg
I have 3 that I no longer use, maybe some or all are what you're looking for.

1 1/8 diameter, 1/2 shank, 1/4 tool
2 diameter, 1/2 shank, 3/8 tool
2 1/2 diameter, 5/8 shank, 1/2 tool

If you're interested, send me a PM and we'll figure out a price.

Tom
hi Tom,
thanks for the welcome.
I'm looking to purchase a fly cutter for my mill.
at the moment i don't have easy access to a lathe

i apologize, i didn't realize this post didn't go through before
is there an advantage to a fly cutter that holds one cutting piece vs several? i was looking for one that would take 3 or 4 replaceable inserts but i'm open to suggestions (i would prefer not to grind HSS)

What you're looking for is referred to as a face mill or shell mill.

Like main-cogg said, you’re looking for a face mill or shell mill if you want multiple cutting edges in one tool. The fly cutters I’ve seen only have one cutting edge, either ground or an insert. Some use a ground tool, some use an insert. I’m no expert, but one advantage of a fly cutter is the diameter of the cut can be adjusted, while a face mill’s diameter is what it is. That’s not critical for narrow work pieces but can be advantageous for wide ones. Hopefully, someone with face mill experience will chime in. You can also search the forum for face mills and find previous threads that might answer your questions.

Tom

Back