Flycutting a chamfer

Chewy

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need to make some work holding vise jaws. They will project a little over the top of the vise with a 1-1/8" hole and a couple of notches. Starting out with 1" x 1-1/2" 1018 steel. Going to hog out excess material. Clamp together with 1/4" spacer between them and bore out. Thinking about this, I would like to add a small chamfer or round the edge a little. This is not critical. It should just look nice.

Here are the options as I see it. File the edge. Use a hand die grinder and burr on the edge. Put in a chamfer or radius bitl, clamp to rotary table and go roundy-round. Or with piece already clamped and located, switch to a fly cutter and lower it into hole. I'm thinking to install the flycutter and reference it to a flat piece of steel. Hold a 45 degree angle along the side and mark the bit. That takes care of the 45 degree chamfer and fly cutter down angle. Grind straight across to match the mark and then grind a few degrees rake into it. What I end up with is a flat, straight angled edge almost like a scraper. Start high and just lower it down into hole.

I couldn't find anything like this in the forums. Has anybody doe anything similar? I don't see why it wouldn't work to cut a 1/16" or 1/8" chamfer. As always I look forward to the answers. Thanks in advance to all the people who take time to help!!!! Charles

If the 1/4" spacer extends to the top of the jaws, you could chamfer with a countersink.

If it's a non-critical dimension, I would recommend just breaking the edge with a file. Easy, fast and looks good. Filing is an underrated machinist skill but is a critical skill nonetheless. I have about 10 files on the wall that get used on just about every job from turning to milling.

Paul.

You could have done it with a 10" mill file in the time you took to type it...............Bob

All of you are correct. Typically I would use the file or die grinder, which ever one was closer. Been doing this for years on big rigs and construction machines. The reason for the question is to see how far I can push the flycutter. I read where I can use it to cut holes in thin gauge material. Just saw a video where a precision vertical concave recess was milled into a bar. Just trying to figure out what other things I can use it for. I will do the vise jaws just after the holidays. Thanks. Charles

If it's a non-critical dimension, I would recommend just breaking the edge with a file. Easy, fast and looks good. Filing is an underrated machinist skill but is a critical skill nonetheless. I have about 10 files on the wall that get used on just about every job from turning to milling.

And if you want the edge to be very smooth, finish by draw filing.

Back