Function of this socket head screw (PM-833T)?

Remove the screw and see what falls off the machine.
LOL. Effective though not elegant.

Anyway, I were able to reduce the X-axis backlash to 0.005" and Y-axis backlash to 0.006". "C" (red label) hex socket screw for the X-axis and a similar screw for the Y-axis. It took more than a full turn of the screw for the Y-axis and about 1/2 turn for the X-axis. The location and orientation of the Y-axis screw is not ideal. It locates inferior to the Y-axis lead screw and face toward the column. Getting a hex wrench to turn it is impossible without backing out the Y-axis leadscrew. It would have been much easier to adjust the Y-axis backlash if this screw was facing the mill operator and can be accessed through the hole in the base with a long hex wrench. Maybe there is a design reason for this?

During this process, I notice one thing. The Left bearing seat set for the X-axis leadscrew does not have an inner bearing. The right one has an inner bearing. Both of them has an outer bearing to support the leadscrew. Is this by design? Or the left inner bearing is missing from factory? This is my first time disassemble the X- and Y-axis leadscrews.

X-axis_bearing_seat_set.jpg

LOL. Effective though not elegant.

Anyway, I were able to reduce the X-axis backlash to 0.005" and Y-axis backlash to 0.006". "C" (red label) hex socket screw for the X-axis and a similar screw for the Y-axis. It took more than a full turn of the screw for the Y-axis and about 1/2 turn for the X-axis. The location and orientation of the Y-axis screw is not ideal. It locates inferior to the Y-axis lead screw and face toward the column. Getting a hex wrench to turn it is impossible without backing out the Y-axis leadscrew. It would have been much easier to adjust the Y-axis backlash if this screw was facing the mill operator and can be accessed through the hole in the base with a long hex wrench. Maybe there is a design reason for this?

During this process, I notice one thing. The Left bearing seat set for the X-axis leadscrew does not have an inner bearing. The right one has an inner bearing. Both of them has an outer bearing to support the leadscrew. Is this by design? Or the left inner bearing is missing from factory? This is my first time disassemble the X- and Y-axis leadscrews.

View attachment 361713
I don't have an inner bearing on the left side either.

Back