Fund a mill in my area, with some extras, good stuff or run?

1a1191

Registered
Registered
Found a mill in my area, with some extras, good stuff or run?

This came up for sale locally. I need a mill mostly for small stuff involved in pistolsmithing. This mill is barely used, not sure about the pile of stuff that comes with it. Take a look and let me know what you think.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The way I see it, the first question is; is this enough mill for my needs? If so, the next would be price. If it comes with that heap of stuff and is not much more than half the cost of the machine new, I would go for it. That's all up to you. We're probably going to encourage you to get some kind of machine. So we're not exactly an objective lot around here.

Thanks! I offered exactly half of the machines cost new. It is a round column mill which I read can be a pain, but it won't be used a lot and some of the fixturing will likely help on my surface grinder as well.

Thanks! I offered exactly half of the machines cost new. It is a round column mill which I read can be a pain, but it won't be used a lot and some of the fixturing will likely help on my surface grinder as well.

She set her price at $1000. The machine is about $1500. New and I'm not sure what that tooling would be worth. Any of you with experience in such things have an opinion on this one?

thanks,
Bob

A bit high in my opinion considering it is an import round column....BUT, that tooling adds up fast. You have a lot of fixturing stuff there....angle plates, blocks, magnetic chucks....so maybe it's worth it. Another question....is this the biggest mill you have room for? A grand gets you into a few other possibilities. Probably not a bridgeport, but I have seen Burke #4's, Cincinnati toolmasters, Gortons, and Van Normans in that price range. Awesome old machines. BUT, then you have to worry about transporting them and possibly powering them since most are 3 phase.

If you want a plug and play machine, keep in mind that you can get a Grizzly G0704 (dovetail column) for just over a grand delivered....and that would be the cat's ass for pistolsmithing! You could make your own fixturing stuff if you wanted.

Consider it this way. At $1k you're sort of paying $750 for the machine and $250 for the tooling based on the half-price idea. If you don't care for the machine and decide to sell it, could you get $750 for it? I think you could here in the SF Bay Area, but in NE? (That's a valid question b/c I don't know.) What if you only get $600 for it? Are you cool with it costing you $150 for a year or two of use?

Would you pay $250 for the tooling by itself? It adds up quickly as noted, but is any of it actually useful for your intended work? Are any of the cutting tools even sharp? I just never understand a bunch of end mills/drills/files knocking around in a box unless they are already dull.

I bought my G0704 b/c I didn't find anything hobby-sized and used at the time I wanted to buy, but I think used is the way to go if you aren't pressed for time or in love with a particular machine.

My dad once told me something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, so if you are on the fence and could go either way, offer what you want to offer and take a chance it won't be around. Good luck!

-Ryan

Last edited:
Its not always about the last dollar , you say its in your area , thats a big plus you can go get it
I looked for over a year for a decent deal on one like that. a good deal thats 300 miles away is no deal at all gas is expensive , also there aren't many good deals most old ones people still are way to proud of i have seen them 30 yrs old and they still want 8 to 900 , also if you buy a new one you get no
tooling id go with the plug and play one you've found, i would have bought it at that price .

- - - Updated - - -

Its not always about the last dollar , you say its in your area , thats a big plus you can go get it
I looked for over a year for a decent deal on one like that. a good deal thats 300 miles away is no deal at all gas is expensive , also there aren't many good deals most old ones people still are way to proud of i have seen them 30 yrs old and they still want 8 to 900 , also if you buy a new one you get no
tooling id go with the plug and play one you've found, i would have bought it at that price .

Like Smudemo said...you have to be sure the tooling is exactly what you need/want or it has no value. End mills and bits add little value imo and they are the kind of things you can pick up each payday without feeling the pain. The tooling in this sale is better than most....angle plates and such are usually not included. Things like vises and dividing heads are a best case scenario....those are $300 and up, so they are always best purchased with a machine. (I got a K&T dividing head with plates from a machine I bought for $500)

The import mill drills from the last 20 years depreciate the worst. That's why I suggested a G0704. For $1k you could buy NEW, rather than paying the same for an older, less accurate model.

She told me today that she has an offer for $800. For the whole mess. I offered her $2-300. For the tooling, saying that a firm offer would have to wait until I can see it in person. I told her to re-list it for a grand for the machine alone and go no lower than $800. That is about half replacement cost, and the machine was barely used before her husband got sick and passed. I watch a lot, and see very few mills come up for sale locally. But, it really isn't ideal for my needs, I would rather have an old used knee mill or at the very least an import with the dovetail column. Hopefully she lets me come take a look at that tooling, some of it could be put to us on my surface grinder.

Back