Gantry Crane

@Boswell - if you are still considering a gantry crane, two years ago I built one, as the materials cost was about the same as buying one.
It will lift safely 4 tons (with a 4* safety margin), and I use it a lot more than I thought I would. It adjusts between 6'6" and 11'4", and I use a chain around the beam to mount the chain fall. It is 11' wide, but I also have a 4' main beam for it as well, for use inside the shop. It runs on 4 - 2600 lb rated casters.

Saved my buns a few times... Here it is:

ModifiedGantryCrane.JPG

Can you elaborate on what exactly failed?

On one the roller mechanism broke and the other the lip area when the wheel rolled bent, allowing the roller to fall out.

Thanks. I was around unistrut a lot but never as a structural thing. Like Tim9 mentioned there are a lot of different makers or grades of strut so just like all projects like this it’s best to be careful with all the details.

Thanks. I was around unistrut a lot but never as a structural thing. Like Tim9 mentioned there are a lot of different makers or grades of strut so just like all projects like this it’s best to be careful with all the details.

If you are going to do it, make sure it all the best and make sure the Unistrut is secured solidly to the ceiling. The last thing you want is a rotary table or any other heavy load, falling on you or your mill table. Anything hanging over my head is always a viable concern to me.

Back