Gauge Block Accessory Kit (Score?)

So I could use blocks to set the origin on my dial bore gages? Hmmm. Did not think about that. I was preparing to order individual setting rings

Exactly. We have lots of rings for specific reoccurring jobs. We get one offs and that is how we do it. Works great.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Hey all,

I was bidding on a couple of things at an auction that's literally five minutes from my office, so I took a shot on this gauge block accessory kit. There's no marking on anything, but it looks like a similar set Lost Creek Machine has listed as being from Germany. The box has Grud or Grub on it, but that could be anything. The white goo on the green fabric is from the hot glue the auction idiots use to secure the lot number...like putting it on the wood was too hard to ask?

The only thing is, the base block is missing...should be in the lower right corner of the case. Am I correct this is only used when stacking vertically? I'll admit I'm almost entirely ignorant of the subject. I've got $160 in the kit, which seems like a score even without the base block maybe? Any idea if I can source another base block and have it work with these? Thanks...I'm slowly learning metrology and finding it hard to not buy all sorts of stuff!

View attachment 480282

Were you able to find what brand this is?

Is this the piece that is missing?

Were you able to find what brand this is?

Is this the piece that is missing?

I'm still not sure of the brand. I've found two sets that mention Mitutoyo, but when you look up that part number it's clearly different. The one on Lost Creek has F.R. Germany on the label as well.

The missing piece is very similar, although I'm not 100% certain what I have would fit with that base. It's close enough and cheap enough it might be worth a shot.

This set sold appears to be the same brand as mine:

So I could use blocks to set the origin on my dial bore gages? Hmmm. Did not think about that. I was preparing to order individual setting rings
Just set an O.D. Mic, set to required dimension, in soft jaws in a vice to enable sweeping the anvils with the anvils of the bore gage. This is the way it has been done for a long, long time.

Back