GB 22

baleguynz

Registered
Registered
Howdy,

Has anyone bought the plans from Mark Serbu for the GB 22? Ie Gun buyback .22 LR.

I was wondering if the plans could be altered to a very basic rifle using the plans and adding a longer barrel and a removable stock. This would make a pretty lean survival/emergency rifle for shooting rabbits and other small game ideally the whole thing would break down for storage in a pack.

Attachments

• GB22.jpg
    GB22.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 21
I bought those several years back when Mark first put them out. IMO, they could easily be modified into a breakdown carbine, but I think the cost would be on the same level as a single-shot Crickett or similar rifle once it was all said and done.
For example, I do not have the tooling to reliably rifle a barrel (press through buttons aside) and would end up buying a 22 blank to be pressed, threaded or similarly attached to the receiver. That would be most of the cost. A folding wire stock would be relatively simple and cheap. As a comparison, I've seen some of the Cricketts reworked with a custom stock to breakdown for backpacking and storage. They were astonishingly accurate and already set up for a tip-off scope.

All that aside, it would be a fun project to build but would not be my first choice if I were looking for a camp/backpack carbine.

No problems making it into a carbine, but there are a lot of easier DIY guns, as @SHughes said. IIRC, the plans were pretty much oriented around a water jet or similar cutter, and not really great (certainly not cost effective) to make in the average home shop.

GsT

Back