Gear change suggestions

siscoken

Registered
Registered
Here is the gear setup on my Logan 200 .... I presently have no additional gears...with this setup I am getting .002 inche per rev.... i would like to have a little more feed rate for rough cut... as thinking a 32 tooth in place of the 16, but unsure what the out come would be .004??
Thnks ken

Attachments

• 20211227_155505.jpg
    20211227_155505.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 10
Ken, the 200 manual, found here:
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3353 gives 8 tpi for the leadscrew, but not a full feed rate chart. The 800 10" lathes use the same 8 tpi screw. The 800 manual found here:
Has a the same partial chart as the 200 manual. "But" if you look at the quick change gear box (QCGB) table you can convert the tpi given for plain gear cutting to the feed rate. This should help you figure out what rates you can cut with the gears you have. You can get nylon gears on eBay for a reasonable cost to build up your collection. If you don't see the gear you need, contact the seller, they were happy to make the gear I needed.

Ron

Ken, the 200 manual, found here:
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3353 gives 8 tpi for the leadscrew, but not a full feed rate chart. The 800 10" lathes use the same 8 tpi screw. The 800 manual found here:
Has a the same partial chart as the 200 manual. "But" if you look at the quick change gear box (QCGB) table you can convert the tpi given for plain gear cutting to the feed rate. This should help you figure out what rates you can cut with the gears you have. You can get nylon gears on eBay for a reasonable cost to build up your collection. If you don't see the gear you need, contact the seller, they were happy to make the gear I needed.

Ron
Thnks for the reply Ron .... if you look at my pic there are 2 plastic gears with brass bushing that I have been running for a couple of yrs and very happy with them...thanks for the links... but what I was kind of looking for is what the machine can handle for a rough cut .... if I knew I could change 1 gear and double or better the feed and the machine would handle a reasonable cut.
I do no threading... just make parts, so just trying to get a little more efficient .
So if I get twice the feed but only can take 1/2 the material ... really not much gain... so I am willing to accept don't bother it's not worth it.

Material | Tool | Speed. Just me, for tools that were designed for HSS, I likeHSS but have some Crobalt on order to try. I also use tangential/ diamond tool holders so keeping the tooling sharp is easy. I assume you are working in the speed envelope for the material. Good luck.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Back