Lo-Fi

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hi

I'm looking to buy a set of M1.5 gear cutters. There seem to be two options:

Cheap as chips imports. An entire set of 8 for ~£50

Expensive-ish ~£25 per cutter.

REALLY spendy ~ £125 per cutter.

I've no objection to paying for quality cutters, but having been stung before buying what I think should be quality tools because of the price, I'm wary that the expensive-ish ones are the same stuff as the cheapo ones and I'll just be paying for having bought them from a well known engineering shop rather than direct. I can't afford the really expensive jobbies in any case!

Anyone got any experience?

Examples:

Cheers!

I guess it would matter how hard you need these to work. One off part? Buy the cheap stuff. Small production run with resharpenings, get the better ones.

I tend to agree with macardoso -- what do you want them to do for you? I have purchased as set recently from RDG Tools (individually to make a full set, I mean) and they work fine for me. They've produced nice gears in Acetal as well as aluminum but not steel or brass/bronze yet. I did run a diamond stick around the corners where the arbor and key are in the centre as some did not want to slide freely on my arbor, but once I did that they all fit okay. My set is a diametral set, not module.

-frank

I've got a few of the imports that match the pitch of the gears on my Grizzly lathe. I've cut two or three gears with each in CRS, no problems. I recall the inside arbor size being something like 18 or 19 mm, so had to make a special arbor to use them.

Bruce

Thanks for the replies! It's a home shop, so nothing too taxing. I'll likely be cutting Meehanite cast iron - it's soooooo lovely to work with! I'll take the plunge and order a cheap set and hope for the best. The ones I'm looking at fit a common 22mm arbor, which makes life a bit easier.

I'll post up a mini review when I get them!

Thanks again.

I bought a set of the import cutters. Seem to be decent quality for the price. I have only cut one gear so far with them out of some 1144. No issues.

Back