Gear cutters

Brento

Registered
Registered
Anyone know where i can find good gear cutters? Ebay seems to be all china and i found McMaster sells them but i am looking for a 16DP 14.5PA set. Idk if im gonna get them now but id like to find resources on where to buy them.

There are several sources for US made cutters. They all have in common their being horrendously expensive. I acquired a set of 16DP 14.5PA a while back from eBay. Actually acquired several sizes, some from China, some from Eastern Europe, some from Russia. I don't remember which source was for the 16DP set, they were all "second grade" stock that will work for plastic and aluminium. I did acquire several sets for small gears, but those were for model building. I don't expect to work iron or steel so saw no need for the high end cutters. Nor do I expect to do commercial grade or "job shop" work.

I did check several US sources, MSC, McMaster Carr, and a few others. They all stocked the cutters but were all beyond my means. I am not a "poor man", but I am unwilling to spend money where it is not needed. Making gears for my own use falls into that catagory.

As an aside on a related subject, I was interested that the general shape of a 14.5 degree gear is similar to ACME threads.(29 Deg) I experimented for a while using a 10TPI ACME tap to hob worm wheels. I still haven't got it right yet, but the problems I am seeing are from my fixturing, not the cutting.

I would like to find sources bc i am going into job shop type of work. I dont need them now but id like to be able to find US versions easier. Stupid question, how did you find them on MSC? I couldnt find them.

I must admit, my search for gear cutters was several years back. I have searched pretty much since I'net search has been available. What usually turned me off was the price. I would look them up, the price was beyond my means, and I would terminate the idea.

I ran a search of MSC this AM in response to your question. MSC seems to have "cheapened" their stock a great deal. Likely in response to a merger or buy out. That conversation would drift into a political discussion very quickly so I won't go there. Although beyond my reach, the MSC stock stuck in my mind because of the broad selection.

I don't use Google search, again for political reasons. I use a search engine called "DogPile". I include a link where I searched for [Involute Gear Cutters]. I didn't follow up beyond checking that my wording was appropriate, it may have "hobs" as well as individual cutters. Further, I haven't looked to see what, or whom, is making them. Whether a US manufacturer, European, or whatever. You can follow up each link for yourself.
I am not the most appropriate person to follow up on commercial machine work. I am a model builder, retired from a different discipline, and occasionally get some wild, hairy idea that I may or may not follow up on. Price is a very large part of my hobby, reliability falls way down the list.

I have some involute gear cutters Im sure ill never use. Call or text 419-512-1612 if interested.

Back