Gear woes

Cathead, not following the use of dividing plates on RT. My table is Yuasa and does not have provision for dividing plates. The angle for the 15 tooth is 24 degrees which is super easy. The 35 tooth is 10.28571428571429 degrees and next to impossible to dial in.
Lo-Fi, thanks for the offer. I just might take you up on that if it proves impractical for me to try to make them. are you in The US? I'll PM you if I go that route.
[/QUOTE]

You take off the crank wheel and bolt on a dividing plate to the RT. Then add the dividing plate, spacer apparatus and the crank.
The mounting holes are under the hole spacer thing and crank handle on about a 2 inch bole circle(at least on mine).
P1020128.JPG
I see the hole dog is missing on this photo. This plate is home made. Usually an RT will be supplied with 2 discs with
holes on both sides allowing to make most any gear count. You may not have the dividing plates and hole dog thing but I'm pretty
sure they are available. Take off your crank wheel and see if there are threaded holes to bolt on the disc. I have seen discs that
have 3 holes but mine happens to have 4 holes so it could be either I suppose.

The hole dog is simply a pointed pin that fits into the holes and has a spring loaded feature on it. It's not too hard to figure out
which set of holes to use. Each 360 degrees of rotation on a 90 to 1 RT is 4 degrees. Divide 360 degrees by the tooth count to
get the degrees to rotate for each tooth space. There is a chart to easily know which plate to use. A 49 hole plate will allow one to
make the 35 tooth gear. That would be two full rotations plus 28 holes on the 49 tooth plate.

Looking on E-Bay, the Grizzly brand RT looks to be Yuasa so That might work for you once you see what is under that crank wheel...

Last edited:
Thats an interesting setup. I'll check it out over the weekend and see if its a practical endeavor. I don't want to start a new project to finish another project though. I might do something like that in the furure.

Jim, the Boston catalog start iron gears at 40 tooth and up. I'm curious about the conversion to cable or timing belt. where can I get more info on that?

Lo-Fi, Plastic gear? I'm not sure it would take the stress. We are instantly reversing a moving table that weighs at least 150 pounds. I'm thinking it would shear the teeth. I never considered bronze. I guess it would work instead of iron. a hard bronze like 954?

I want to thank everyone for their input and suggestions. lots of info to digest.

Well, I'm having a bit of trouble finding any info anything on the cable conversion, I was thinking of. I think I remember Stefan Gotteswinter mentioning it on his Youtube channel. As I recall the ends of the cable were anchored on the ends of the table with a sheave in place of the drive gear with a couple of wraps of the cable around it, looked like it made motion smooth as silk. When time permits I'm planning to try it on mine.

Making them is an awesome way to learn the process while solving your worn machine tool. I don't have the equipment myself.
Just for kicks, I have a hunch, Boston Gear would have those in stock.

Search for "Boston Gear" on amazon, ebay, google and see if they make something similar to what you need as a catalog item.

Back