Gearbox oil

Daffy

Registered
Registered
727-V ordered, not here yet, however still doing the homework prior to arrival.
Plan to run it some and then flucsh/change the gearbox oil as recommended.
Maintenance section of the manual says SAE80W90 and even mentions the W as being for multigrade (incorrect, it means Winter Grade, whatever)

On to my question, I live in northern Illinois(hopefully that will change when SWMBO retires, nuther story), shop is not continually heated, only when out there. Colder ambient temps occur by virtue of location.

Plan to use Full Synthetic at change, any of you have comments yea or nay for Full Syn? it will be 80W90 to maintain warranty.

Many years a Full Syn fan where I could use it without causing slippage(documented test results back in the late 70's\ multiple vehicles since), have no idea of the gearbox configuration, hence the question beforehand.

Many thanks!
Daffy aka Mark

i can't imagine why swapping to full synthetic would be a bad thing.

Given the low temp. ratings of 80W90 (80W low temp. 90 high temp) gear oil you'd have to drop that shop temp. below -20 F to hit the 80W threshold. I'd be confident with any good quality synthetic (Valvoline 280 DuraBlend is my choice for its high pressure characteristics).

Yeah I'd looked at the temp chart, Doubtful I'd be in the shop at either end of the range.. Thanks for the tip I'll hava look see at the durablend, am a fan of royal purple and mobile one in different viscosities and uses, may have to do some independent testing again.. I hate un-needed wear and tear if it's avoidable with proper maintenance choices.

Just a follow up, Changed out the gearbox oil today with Lucas full synthetic 75W 90.
Gave her some love on the spindle and every other move point since initial setup and run as well.

Audibly quieter and 12 more rpm at max according to the gauge, will have to wait till tomorrow and recheck the spindle temp, I don't expect much change as it was not really hot to touch rather it was just warm. Being a 92 degree ambient temp already and running max speed under no load to warm it up for the fluid change I have no expectation of running cooler. Was not entirely impressed with the visual and finger slide lubricity of the shipped oil, maybe I'm a bit anal over this but hey I like my equipment to work for me and last..

FWIW this is an awesome machine addition to my knifemaking shop, fairly sure my circa 1960's shopsmith is happy about it too.. no more abuse asking it to do things it should have never been asked to do....

Just saw this post. And I'm wondering which of the Lucas synthetic you used. You might want to read through this thread:

Some of their oils are not yellow metal safe.

Why not use Mobil ISO 68 DTE Heavy/Medium circulating oil?

Back