Gearhead mill verses belt drive.

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I did some milling today and the part was such that I needed to put on my BP clone mill which is belt drive instead of my PM 833T Gear head Mill. The clone is 3hp 3 phase with VFD. The PM 833T is a 2 hp single phase. I could not believe how much smoother, and Quiter the BP Clone was over the Gear Head. And the end mill sliced through the steel like a hot knife thru butter. I also need to drill a couple holes in the plate so for fun I used the Antique Camelback drill press. Same thing drilling the hole. Quite like a mouse and the torque of an Oxen. Sometimes it is worth taking time to enjoy the work.

I'm also running a BP clone with a 1.5Kw 3 ph motor via a VFD. Th combination of the 3 phase motor and belts make it very smooth.
I also converted my small Taiwanese belt drive lathe from a single ph motor to a 3 phase with vfd. The transformation was amazing. The lathe now runs heaps smoother and I don't have the harsh thump as the motor starts, that the single phase gave me. Its almost like it is a totally different machine now.
So your gear head is up for sale now? lol. (smilies not working for me atm)
regards Peter

I have two gear head mills, a Steinel and a little Prazi.

The Prazi is not too bad, but the Steinel has gears everywhere and holy cats does it make a racket.

I made up a special lube for it with gear oil and stp as with light oil at full song it had to be near 100db.

Down low it’s not too bad, but drilling small holes or edgefinding?

Forget it.

Back