Getting from zero to hero?

What would you do?

• Total voters
The Sunmaster manual Lathes have different names depending on who they are distributed by. In the US, for some odd reason the ERL-1340 is rebranded by some distributors like Kent and is called the TRL-1340. The Sunmaster TRL series only come in larger versions, 1440, 1640, 1660 which are around 3400 lbs, and have a much larger spindle (D1-6). There is also a mid sized version between the ERL and TRL called the RML. QMT/PM sells the TRL (1440TL), the TL has a 2.55" bore and is a monster. The ERL1340 is a D1-4 with a 1.56" bore and is around 2300 lbs. Kent and Acra sell their versions but also play games with alphabet soup, but they are all versions of the Sunmaster lathes which are very well made. The Kent RML-1440 is between the two with a 2.1" spindle bore, I would go with the larger spindle bore of the TRL and not the RML. I have the ERL-1340, I had all my D1-4 chucks and tooling from my 1340GT and did not want to have to replace it all if I went with the 1440TL, if you are not tooled up and can manage the weight of the 1440TL it is a huge step up in rigidity and fit/finish. That being said, there is nothing that the ERL-1340 can do that can't be done on the 1340GT, just might take longer with the latter.

The ERL/RML/TRL all have universal gearboxes which was one of the reasons I upgraded from my 1340GT, the only change gear is for DP threads. It is a very solid lathe, it can handle much heavier work with quicker stock removal. I know a couple of people that have these lathes, they have all been spot on with regard to alignment and tolerances from the factory. The TRL also has a one piece cast iron base which can be lifted with a fork lift, the ERL is lifted from its bed.

I am not sure about your assessment there Doc. PM had, or has and ERL-1340. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/erl-1340.39331/
Not sure what you mean. PM can get them, as the thread you referenced showed - they may even have them in stock, but they don't list them on their web page. The sunmaster ERL-1340 is the same lathe, and you can look at the specs on their site though. That's why I posted the link. Did I miss something?

Last edited:
So I have a few thoughts, although I am officially just part of the peanut gallery. There is a writer, Kurt Vonnegut that has somewhat inspired me because of this...“I don’t think being good at things is the point of doing them. I think you’ve got all these wonderful experiences with different skills, and that all teaches you things and makes you an interesting person, no matter how well you do them.”

I've not run across this quote before but I like it. I've always followed the Jack of all trades mold. I learn enough to get my current project done, but don't usually put the time in to get really good at any of it.

It's hard to justify a few grand (or more) worth of equipment to make a $20 part once or twice a month. Logically, this makes no sense really.

I think this pretty much sums up this hobby for many of us. It isn't about saving money, it is mostly about being able to make it yourself. There is no logic to it. There are a few who do make some money or at least legitimately save some money with their machines, but I'd guess most will never come close to having their machines pay for themselves.

Personally I'd put a decent MIG welder high on my priorities. It wasn't my first purchase but I have found it super useful, and of all the machines it is the one that seems to do the least trivial work. Sure I could still probably buy a lot of the things I weld up, but not as good, sometimes not as cheap and almost never as exact to my purpose as making it myself. It really is a very manly hot glue gun. :grin:

Between the lathe and the mill, I'd go lathe first for a couple of reasons. The main one is it is easier to learn. A lathe is basically a 2 axis operation, where a mill is 3 axis plus some other added complexity (knee and spindle movement, head tilt, nod, swing etc). I also find the mill has a lot more specialized tooling available. I have quite a few lathe tools that also fit my mill, but not much goes from the mill to the lathe. I also think it is easier to do simple milling operations on a lathe, than it is to do simple lathe operations on a mill.

Get all three at the same time? I can see the appeal of buying a lathe and a mill as a package, but waiting does have some benefits. Two big ones being, after you have spent some time making stuff on the lathe, you may have a different idea of what you really want from a mill. Maybe you find you don't want something as big as a Bridgeport, or maybe you really do but you are stuck with the big bench mill that seemed like a good idea at the time. Maybe you find this machining thing really isn't your thing, and holding off on the mill means one less machine to sell.

I also think a lathe is easier to pick out, figure out the size you think will be right, and find the best one that fits your budget. There are a lot fewer options with a lathe, basically, size, power and quality.

Mills you have many more things to consider, vertical bench mills (head goes up and down), vertical knee mills (knee goes up and down), horizontal mills, vertical / horizontal mills (mostly people decide between a vertical bench mill or a vertical knee mill, but you may find yourself wanting a horizontal mill for some reason). Then you have spindle travel to consider, head tilt, and nod, the ability to swing the head, or a fixed head (most stable, but less versatile). There are also a billion used Bridgeport mills out there, so waiting until you can find a decent deal on a good one is another consideration.

We won't even go down the rabbit hole of shapers, die filers, surface grinders, engravers or the other things you will begin to covet once the lathe gives you a little taste and takes you past the gateway.
:devil:

Not sure what you mean. PM can get them, as the thread you referenced showed - they may even have them in stock, but they don't list them on their web page. The sunmaster ERL-1340 is the same lathe, and you can look at the specs on their site though. That's why I posted the link. Did I miss something?

My mistake and apologies there Doc. I looked at the website from your link and for some reason thought it was a CNC lathe. Turns out Sunmaster CNC is the website. Apparently I was not fully engaged with my coffee yet.

My mistake and apologies there Doc. I looked at the website from your link and for some reason thought it was a CNC lathe. Turns out Sunmaster CNC is the website. Apparently I was not fully engaged with my coffee yet.

Lol. Been there done that, got the t-shirt!

I think this pretty much sums up this hobby for many of us. It isn't about saving money, it is mostly about being able to make it yourself. There is no logic to it. There are a few who do make some money or at least legitimately save some money with their machines, but I'd guess most will never come close to having their machines pay for themselves.

Gettin' the hobby to pay for itself is like an accountant I used to know... He used to say, "You can deduct that, you just have to phrase it right." (He's in jail now, but that's a different story...)

To get a hobby to pay for it self you have to look at what it saves you. For example, I paid for my shotgun by recognizing that it saved me a whole lot compaired to playing golf. Since I suck at golf, it was obviouse that I should buy a nice shotgun and switch sports. The price of equipment's the about same, but skeets much less expensive than playing golf. Heck, the gun practically pay for it self!
(This is where my wife usually chimes in to point out I had already bought the golf clubs, and that I neither play golf nor go shoot skeet. But that's entirely beside the point. The point is my shotgun paid for it self in savings compared to golf. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!)

I already own three welders, a Mig, a Tig and a Buzz box that seems to just be taking up unused space. I'm pretty good with the Mig, and still learning on the Tig but having fun.

My plan is once I get my Hot Rod moving under its own power, I'm planning on buying a lathe and a mill at the same time. Now that may change between now and when that time comes, but that is the current plan.

Tim

Gettin' the hobby to pay for itself is like an accountant I used to know... He used to say, "You can deduct that, you just have to phrase it right." (He's in jail now, but that's a different story...)

To get a hobby to pay for it self you have to look at what it saves you. For example, I paid for my shotgun by recognizing that it saved me a whole lot compaired to playing golf. Since I suck at golf, it was obviouse that I should buy a nice shotgun and switch sports. The price of equipment's the about same, but skeets much less expensive than playing golf. Heck, the gun practically pay for it self!
(This is where my wife usually chimes in to point out I had already bought the golf clubs, and that I neither play golf nor go shoot skeet. But that's entirely beside the point. The point is my shotgun paid for it self in savings compared to golf. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!)

LOL. I know what you mean. My CPA tried to convince me I should buy some property in an industrialized zone for a work shop and then figure out a way to make it a "business expense". But at least for me, I wanted to be able to walk to my shop and not drive to it even if from a tax perspective it makes more sense to do the latter.

My wife and I have an agreement: I don't say anything about how many shoes she has and she doesn't complain about my guns. So far at least I seem to have come out on the better end of that deal. At least she hasn't yet suggested we remodel the house to make the closet bigger so she could pull an Imelda Marcos yet. :)

Anyways, thanks to everyone for your thoughts and helping me spend my money (dunno about you, but spending other people's money is so much fun! :) ) Seems like I need to start cleaning the garage and figuring out my storage and workspace needs a bit so I can make sure I have room for a lathe, mill and band saw. Also really need to get my dirt bike idling properly so I can sell it to make more room.

Back