Gilbert Erector set part number CO lamp socket

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Another Erector set reproduction part string. This one is for part number ‘CO’ lamp socket which was included in the largest sets from 1924 – 1932. Being used in just the largest sets means not a lot of sales volume, but the few I’ve made in the past have sold for $10 - $15 each.

The “CO” has a fiber material base with a brass contact strip at the center and a coil of copper wire that the bulb screws into. The base is made from a pair of the fiber disks, probably to make it a little more substantial as the fiber material is pretty brittle.

The fiber disk has an arc 90 deg. long cut into it for an anti-rotation feature of the copper wire socket. I’ve made this before by hand drilling a series of holes, then filed down the peaks. Also drilled the end holes, mounted the disk on an arbor in the mill vise and manually rotated the disk to cut the arc. I planned on making a dozen or so of them so came up with some new fixturing.

Started by punching out the disk blanks (1 ¼” diameter) on the Roper Whitney #218 punch press. Then used a fixture to transfer punch the location of 4 holes. The “CO” have holes at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o’clock, opposite sides are 1/8” and 11/64”. The 1/8” holes are used for 4-40 screws, the 11/64” screw for 8-32 screws to fasten the base to a model. Punched the holes with a pair of RW No. 5 hand punches.

20181230_165335.jpg
20181230_173546.jpg
20181231_112721.jpg

Made a holding fixture for my Bridgeport CNC mill for cutting the arc. Spot drilled, drilled and undersize reamed holes for a pair of 1/8” dowel pins. Drilled and tapped a 5-40 hole in the center for a hold down screw. In use I found the 1/8” pins held the disk down well, so didn’t end up using the screw.

20181231_163755.jpg
20181231_165446.jpg
20181231_173308.jpg

Then made a mandrel on the lathe to wind the wire around. Measured the ID of a commercial E10 lamp socket with drill bits and went with that diameter minus a few thousandths for spring back after winding the coil of copper wire.

20190106_150207.jpg

Made a holding block for the copper wire and mandrel. Used a piece of hex stock, center drilled and drilled holes for the copper wire end to slip into. I figured as long as the mill was set up I’d drill extra holes around the perimeter just in case I broke off the copper wire in one of the holes. After the mill work, went to the lathe to drill a center hole in the hex block that the mandrel would slip into.

20190106_164000.jpg
20190106_165044.jpg
20190106_165248.jpg

In use, I strip a length of #14 copper wire and bend a 90 on the end. The end is slipped into one of the holes in the hex block and 4 winds are made around the mandrel. Mandrel is pulled from the hex block and a couple of bends are made using Vise Grips to hold the copper wire. Hard to see but I hand-scribed an arrow on the top of the block as a reminder for the wind direction. Yup, made a few LH thread sockets in the past . . .

20190106_165458.jpg
20190106_154833.jpg
20190111_093745.jpg

I didn’t take photos of the brass contacts, but made those from 0.015” brass. Cut strips of brass on my shear and scribed in the hole location and length. The center tip has a tab bent up to contact the center of the bulb. Used a nibbler and Pexto flange bender to cut/bend up the center of the contact.

20190111_113503.jpg

Again, not a big volume part, but gave me a chance to get in the shop and improve throughput should I need to make more. Thanks for looking.

Bruce

Nice work, Bruce. I would imagine that it is getting difficult to find the formerly common incandescent lamps for those sockets.

Nice work, Bruce. I would imagine that it is getting difficult to find the formerly common incandescent lamps for those sockets.
Hi RJ,

Thanks and yes, they are a bit tough to find. Gilbert used brass lamp bases which are virtually impossible to find. Go figure, they're now mostly made from brass, but then nickel-plated. Muriatic acid strips the nickel in a flash.

They still are available on eBay as E10 lamps which have a 10 mm diameter with a 2 mm pitch thread. I think the old standard must have been 3/8"-13 tpi. The fit is so sloppy and they're only a few threads so the mis-match isn't a problem.

Bruce

Hi RJ,

Thanks and yes, they are a bit tough to find. Gilbert used brass lamp bases which are virtually impossible to find. Go figure, they're now mostly made from brass, but then nickel-plated. Muriatic acid strips the nickel in a flash.

They still are available on eBay as E10 lamps which have a 10 mm diameter with a 2 mm pitch thread. I think the old standard must have been 3/8"-13 tpi. The fit is so sloppy and they're only a few threads so the mis-match isn't a problem.

Bruce

I see that Newark still carries the brass base lamps. https://www.newark.com/w/c/lighting...ults/2?lamp-base-type=e10-mes&st=incandescent

E10 is about 20 thou larger..????? technically 10mm, must be closer to the 3/8" than we think?

E10 is about 20 thou larger..????? technically 10mm, must be closer to the 3/8" than we think?
Hi Mark,

Yup, close enough for these parts. The incandescent sockets and bulbs have a pretty loose fit to each other.

Bruce

McMaster Carr stocks many of those oddball miniature and other sized lamps.

Back