Glueing to a mandrel

fcs

Registered
Registered
I‘ve made some small tubular aluminum pieces that I’d like to glue on to drill rod mandrels for some final light chamfering and polishing. What glue? Any old superglue or some particular member of the Loctite family that releases with heat? The hollows are reamed and fairly snug on the mandrel so a tiny spot of glue should be enough.

I would try super glue. Or an expanding 5C collet if the glue doesn't hold.

Do you ever plan on debonding the part from the mandrel? If so, cayanoacrylate super glue might be the ticket, you could heat the components and separate them. If it's a permanent bond, the world is your oyster; lots of adhesives fit the bill.

super glue, crazy glue, CA glue- they are all much the same and will do the job
red or blue locktite may be just as viable

Yes I’m separating the part from mandrel after finishing the outside, get the residual glue out then hone the bore.

I‘ve made some small tubular aluminum pieces that I’d like to glue on to drill rod mandrels for some final light chamfering and polishing. What glue?

I'd use jeweler's wax, a hotmelt adhesive used to stick stones to dop sticks. It
comes off with heat, though, so you'd want to avoid heavy machining. It
dissolves in paint thinner/light oil, so it will come off clean.

Hot air gun applied to the mandrel, scribble with the stick, and slide your tube on.

It only takes a smidge, but mostly mailorder places (Graves, Rio Grande) will want to sell you half a pound...

Back