Good morning PM users, new guy here

....On the mill, I would recommend a full sized knee mill since you have the space..... It does always come down to the budget, and then you are always looking at the next bigger machine/model. Really depends the nature/size of the work and if you plan on keeping your machines for a long time......

These comments fit with my experience with lathes. I started with a "toy" 6" lathe and within a year found out I needed something bigger. So, I bought a South Bend 9" cabinet model and rebuilt/restored it. I thought that would be enough, but I'm now finding that I sometimes wish I had an even larger capacity machine, and am thinking that one day I'll go up in size again.

This is exactly what drove my thinking away from the smaller PM bench mills like the 727, which I was considering a few weeks ago, and towards the larger end of the bench mill line they offer.

I know this doesn't really relate to the size lathes you are looking at but I have a PM1022 and within a few months of owning it, I wished I had bought a bigger one. That was a few years ago and I still have it, only because life has gotten in the way of doing anything about it (like buying land and building an new house and shop...).

Welcome to the forum, Steve.

Not much to add to the comments here - everything above is good sound advice from those who have used these machines for many years. I do not have a PM lathe, but my Eisen 1440 is nearly identical to the PM 1440GT. Both are Taiwanese with very similar features. The most significant 'plus' on the PM is the larger spindle bore; on the Eisen, it's the heavier weight. With the equipment you're considering, the good news is that it will be nearly impossible to make a mistake. Both lathes and mills you're considering are great machines and as has been pointed out by numerous responses, service from PM is incomparable. The only reason I went with an Eisen over PM is because I got a steal of a deal in December on a close-out. My opinion - weight makes a difference. I'm purely a hobbyist, but I've used both heavy duty machines and some lighter ones (both mills and lathes). To me there is a notable difference in results with the heavier machines. But again, that's only one rookie hobbyist's opinion. I would be inclined to pay considerably more attention to the counsel of our seasoned veterans.

The biggest 'me too' I'll offer from one who has not accumulated a lifetime of tooling is the cost of tools and other peripherals. It can get very expensive very quickly. I have learned two things with regard to these expenses: 1, don't be afraid to buy used. Sometimes used tooling is out there that is, for all intents and purposes, new but at significantly reduced prices. And 2, listen to the experts. If you see something on ebay or craigslist that seems like a great deal, put out an APB here at Hobby Machinist. You're guaranteed to get some of the veterans here that can give you guidance on whether it's a good deal or something to avoid. I've had BOTH happen - snagging a steal of a deal, as well as, dodging a bad deal.

Again, welcome. And you are to be commended for picking a hobby that can facilitate your son's activities professionally.

Regards,
Terry

When you think you got it all figured out, here comes the curve ball :). I had pretty much decided on the 1440GT for the lathe since it was brought to my attention that it has an enclosed gear box. Then other brands were mentioned. I'm still sticking to a Taiwan made but there a so many choices and price differences even when the specs look very close, whether on the mill or lathe. You always want to get the best for the almighty $$$$. It is much worse then cream filled or jelly filled at break time :).

Back