Gosan 1440V Metal Lathe

Starlight Tools

Active User
Registered
My first Metal lathe was a Craftsman (Dunlap) 109 series lathe, which I quickly outgrew. My mentor in the tool repair business had a colleage that had closed his shop due to health issues and arranged to help me get a Logan 9x28 Metal lathe which I had for many years and most days it did what I needed it for, mostly turning commutators on motor armatures, but every so often I needed just a bit bigger. See the piture below where i am repairing a cutterhead from a 24" General International Planer

After searching for many years for a used piece of iron, and never finding anything, We are in an area where used lathes are like teeth in a chicken, non existant! I finally decided to get the Gosan 1440V from Modern Tool.

This lathe is made in Taiwan in one of the more established factories, which also makes the Colchester and Sharpe branded Lathes http://www.shyesheng.com/products_SSM.asp

The fit and finish is much better than the average overseas import, the electrics are good quality and overall it has been a real nice machine, capable of higher precision than I am. LOL

I have put it on Footmaster Castors so I can roll it away from the wall whenever I need to get behind it, but can level it for use.

I had wanted a lathe with a T-Slot Crossslide, but ended up that this machine did not have that feature so added a dovetail slide to mount the undercutter on.

Also the halogen lamp was an extra accessory and I made up a plate to mount it and to offset the coolant tube and the DRO mounting mast as the tailstock lock lever overlapped them when I got it.

Oh and Charlie is the shop watchdog.

Walter

Armature Undercutter Dovetail Slide

FootMaster Castors

One Cramped Shop

IMG_2292b.JPG IMG_2293b.JPG IMG_2286b.JPG

IMG_2292b.JPG IMG_2293b.JPG IMG_2286b.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My first lathe a Craftsman 109 made by Dunlop. I built the stand for it and the stand weighed way more than the lathe did. Motor was a 2 speed motor, so had plenty of speeds. good little machine, but little is the opperative word here!

Logan 9B28-61 Metal lathe. This little girl was a really nice lathe, tight and accurate. It was just a bit small for some of the projects I had wanted to do, and I had always wanted a 14 x 40 so when I had the opportunity to upgrade I did. The Logan was sold to a young guy that does some interesting art work and museum restorations.

Anything bigger than 14 x 40 is a bit big for a home shop, and face it, if I stuck a piece of steel in the 14x40 that was the biggest it would handle, 8 -1/4 ish over cross slide by 40" c-c that would be around 800 lbs. and I really do not want to have to work on any projects that big. LOL

IMG_1814b.JPG Craftsman-Lathe b.jpg

IMG_1814b.JPG Craftsman-Lathe b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the nice features on the Gosan are the 3 hp 3 phase motor with a Delta VFD-B drive. Lots of power regardless of what speed you are turning at. Since the VFD was sized at 3 HP 3 Ph, could not be used on single phase without either changing out the VFD or running on a Phase Converter. I choose the phase converter, details on that are in the Electrical folder of this group.

The lathe came with a Vee type QCTP, which locks and positions well, but there are not a lot of tool holders available for it like the Aloris and clones.

The Compound degree marks are etched really well, large dials are both imperial and metric marked and the tailstock ram is MT3 with the locking tang slot.

Accurite 2 Axis DRO was factory installed.

Factory installed Telescoping Taper Attachment works good and is a handy attachment to have.

Stand is cast iron and is integeral to the lathe as motor and coolant system are mounted in the pedestals.

I really like having the brake pedal. Never used it to stop the spindle, the VFD braking works great for that, but when tapping and other applications it is nice to be able to lock the spindle.

Walter

Back