Got one (HF 4"x6") - anything to watch out for?

Thanks Rick. When my new blades get here I'll put some of that to use. As my next little saw project involves some aluminum angle stock it'll hopefully serve as a test case.

-Ron

Not many know this, and fewer practice it, but a new bandsaw blade should be broken in. 30% reduction in speed and feed for approximately 100 square inches cut. Then put it to it.

Interesting Tony, I did not know that. How would one apply that to my little Chinese saw that has only three speeds? I can easily adjust the feed but speed is a bit trickier. I suppose I could try a pedal speed controller like the one I just got to try out on my drill press but that's about all I can think of, at least without going to a lot more effort.

-Ron

Honestly, I don't worry about the speed too much in steel when I use my little saw, since as you know, it's limited to 3 speeds, and I run steel at the slowest only. I don't think it's worth all the trouble of a VFD or anything. Maybe a retrofit of a 4 step pulley if you really a lot of cutting. It would help to run it one step slower in the brass and aluminum materials for a bit though. It's my personal believe that is is the feed more than the speed that helps, though. What do I know? Both the DoAll and Lennox techs told me about break in. I do know it makes a huge difference on the larger blades and saws. I have documented it.

Kind of against my better judgement (I love well made tools.) I picked up one of the little Harbor Freight 4"x6" bandsaws. Some of the guys here have had good luck with them and the price was hard to ignore. That being said, now that I have the crappy sheetmetal legged, casting so rough it brings tears to your eyes :D band saw set up is there anything I need to really keep an eye on? Things like bushings/bearings, spots of excessive wear, stock bands breaking and taking out my groin, etc. ;)

Anyways, I'll be interested to get any of your observations or thoughts on this ugly little thing. :)

-Ron

Change the oil in the gearbox. Either dump it out or use a turkey baster to suck it out and refill it with a good gear oil. I have read about sand being in the box from the factory. Just my thought...Bob

Back