Grinder for lathe cutters

U R Right. I think I have about one square foot to the left of the grinder bench. I can just move the junk on the floor and maybe put a parts drawer set up there.
"Before the beginning of great brilliance there must be chaos."

I must be well on the way to brilliance considering my chaotic small shop.

Wayne,

Where are these "antique" tools that you have. All I see are very usable, well organized tools on the wall.

tool-wall-jpg.242925

Those screw drivers look to be ones that really work without stripping out the screw heads (screws today are made of marshmallow)

Getting back to the original post, I think that the South Bend tool grinding jig would be great to get the angles on a new not previously ground bit and would be very useful to hold 1/4" tool bits.

When I bought my lathe it came with a coffee can full of used bits. Many appear to be ground for a special use and some are for general use, all were definitely used and look to be ground by an expert. None match the "standard" grind that you see in How to Run a Lathe or on MrPete222/tubalcain's YouTube channel.
There are a million ways to grind a bit, just give it some clearance and try it out.

One tool rest broke on my 6" grinder, I removed the other for some reason and never re-fitted it (or the outer cover) I just offhand grind bits when I need to. I have had quite a lot of practice though ;)

Back