Grinding Lathe Tools?

Craigslist search for "grinder" or "bench grinder." Find an inexpensive one, make sure it is all there, see it run, smoothly, or walk away and look at another one.

Don't use diamond wheels on steel. With heat the carbon (diamonds) will start to disolve into the hot HSS lathe tool. Not bad for the tool but bad for the wheel.

As others said above, get a bench grinder they are a must have tool in any metal/machine shop. I would avoid buying used unless you know what problems to look out for. Get a 6" grinder from HF or HD, you won't regret it.
When learning to grind HSS tools for general turning and facing, don't worry about getting all the angles "textbook perfect", a couple of degrees usually won't make much of a difference.

I own a Harbor Freight and I recently gave away an old Buffalo. I miss the Buffalo. I thought the Harbor Freight unit was good until I used truly good ones. The kind that will spin for 3-5 minutes after you shut off the power, if there's no load. The kind with tool rests and safety shields that stay where you put them without upgrading their hardware.

Nearly every wheel I've ever seen benefitted greatly from shop-made bushings (washers and bushings in one, actually), regardless of the grinder in use.

It's true with the real cheep ones, make new washers for the wheels, it realy sorts them out, :) , I did get a cheep one recently with a bent shaft on it but luckily I had no problems exchanging it for a new one, yay.

Stuart

While looking for something else today, I came across this graphic. It is the single most helpful one I have ever seen for starting to understand lathe tooling. It doesn't include the complete tool geometry, it's just a quick reference. I'm still new enough on the lathe (less than 100 hours) that I'm taping it in my tooling cabinet for reference. I uploaded it to the downloads section so people can find it without necessarily reading this thread:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/understanding-lathe-tools.2983/

Back