Grinding wheels for Shar's universal cutter grinder (deckel clone)

j-becker

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I am looking into getting a universal cutter grinder. It has always been on my wish list for sharpening drill bits and I would like to see whether I can use it for mill tools (occasional d-bit) or my HSS lathe tooling as well (currently I am using a belt sander but I have to do a lot of honing afterwards).

Here a few questions regarding wheels:
- What wheel grits are you using / are you using different grits for roughing and finishing?
- What type of wheels are you using (I am starting with HSS), ALOX or CBN? Or are you having luck with using diamond wheels against recommendation for HSS (some reputable youtubers seem to go that route)
- Where do you buy your wheels (like Norton's in the 4" size) in the US?
- I see a lot of cheap Chinese CBN / diamond wheels on ebay. They have 20mm arbor holes -- any experience using the Shars 3/4" adapters (505-1009) with them?

I probably need to try what works for me, but any advise giving me a head-start is highly appreciated.

Thanks! Johannes

I have been using the friable Norton white wheels 60grit and they work excellent
I have a diamond wheel for carbide too

I have been using the friable Norton white wheels 60grit and they work excellent
I have a diamond wheel for carbide too
Thanks a lot! Where did you buy the Norton wheels -- I am having a hard time to find them at my usual go-to places (apart from ebay)?

I haven’t bought them for mine but McMaster has a good selection generally.

I did get a few spare arbors, I need a few more. I haven’t used mine as much as I thought I would. I like it and it is nice for sharpening brazed carbide and getting good angles on HSS. I have a few square collets for 3/8” and 1/2” HSS lathe tools. Setup time on these machines is non-trivial for me. I just free hand the drills. I’m not setting all that stuff up because I have a dull or chipped drill.

Robin Renzetti also has some good Wheel Recommendations.

Around the 7:30 mark.

Also, Shars is having their Black Friday Sale. Most Items 20% off.

Good time to get some wheels, hubs and other toys...... I purchased my Universal Grinder during their Black Friday Sale last year.

Back