Grizzly 2 1/2" Face Mill -- Did it really come with an extra part?

CurlyDave

Registered
Registered
I am very much a beginner here. I got an Enco RF-30 at a local garage sale but it did not have the face mill that came with it. Otherwise seemingly in excellent condition.

Anyway, I bought a Grizzly G2861 face mill. It came as a mill head and an R8 shank, both in the same cardboard box, packaged in a way that leads me to believe the shank was made by a different company than the mill head and may have just been a generic shank. The shank fits in the RF-30 perfectly and the mill head fits the shank but there is a possible problem.

The mill head is held into the shank by a metric socket cap screw. The cap screw came with the shank and had a metric washer on it. The washer is 30 mm diameter, with a 10 mm hole, and 4 mm thick. It is black oxide finished, just like the cap screw. The recess in the mill head that the cap screw goes into is only 20 mm diameter -- clearly the washer will not fit. Not only that, but when I use the cap screw to hold the mill head in place, there is only a little over 3 mm of clearance between the face of the mill head and the top of the cap screw. So, even if the washer was the correct diameter, it would be too thick.

Is the washer just an extra part intended for some other application, or should I find a 20 mm x 3mm thick washer?

Just the cap screw holds the mill head in place with no play or wobble and it seems to work just fine. To keep the forces low I made a face cut on a piece of scrap wood at very low speed and it worked about like I would have expected.

Should I just use it as is?

Call Grizzly, ask for customer service, explain what you have found, and ask them for help with your face mill issue. "Go to the source..."

Call Grizzly, ask for customer service, explain what you have found, and ask them for help with your face mill issue. "Go to the source..."

Back